No OIS on telephoto??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Sep 10, 2016.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

That oft quoted analyst has stated that the Iphone 7 Plus only has OIS on wide angle, not telephoto. Hey, for anyone who has used cameras, telephoto is the place where you REALLY need it. Might be on the 2017 Iphone. Thanks Apple.

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

That depends, if they sold it in the keynote with a processor that handles so many billion instructions per second, maybe they only need ois on one lens, then when you zoom, it syncs it, making sure you get what you point at.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The telephoto is 2x optical. It's digital after that point.

4. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

He talks about the image stabilization I believe, I am talking about the 'shaky' part being resolved by software internally while you use it. They made a fuzz about that chip that helps them do photo stuff. Who knows! We will soon find out.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. S/w takes over after 2x. But it's optical up to 2x zoom. The bokeh is 100% s/w generated. Maybe that it what they are referring to.

6. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Ok, you're not getting it I think.

The thread starter says:

It seems the First camera that does not zoom in, has optical image stabilization.
    And it seems the Second camera that does zoom in, does not have optical image stabilization.

My response is: Maybe they're doing behind the scene magic on that support chip, using the first camera's stabilization to help stabilize the zoomed in image from the second camera, ergo, perhaps it doesn't need the second cam ois.

We all agree the second lens has optical zoom.

7. lancastor macrumors 6502a

It will be anounced as one of the biggest feature in 2018 keynote: OIS on both cameras.

8. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

You're absolutely correct. The longer the focal length, the more optical image stabilization is needed. This was a strange choice. If they had to pick only one to put it on, due to cost or whatever, they should've picked the 56mm.