No one else notices this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AndrewLGP, Jun 23, 2009.

1. AndrewLGP macrumors member

I search this forum and tried to search the web (i'm beginning to hate Google search). Doesn't the price point for iLife '09 and Snow Leopard seem just a little unbalenced to you guys? iLife '09 only updates five applications and two have barely changed. While Snow Leopard is a major update to the whole OS that those applications run on. Plus many of the built-in OS X apps have been improved. Not to meantion QuickTime seems to have been practically rewritten.

See anything odd with this picture?

Snow Leopard > iLife '09
    $30 $80

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No.

You're comparing the upgrade price from leopard, not the full retail price of snow leopard, to the full retail price of iLife.

3. AndrewLGP thread starter macrumors member

Well iLife doesn't have a full retail price. It comes on ever single Mac, any major update to iLife will only be an upgrade. My puzzlement still stands.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Well, for starters, Apple doesn't sell upgrade copies for iLife. It's the way Appl charges for it's products, and if you don't like it, you'll just have to live with it.

Also, this isn't a 'normal' situation. Apple hasn't ever had an upgrade price for their OS' so you can't really compare the upgrade price of Snow Leopard to the full price of iLife.

5. AndrewLGP thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I guess your right. I'm a little new on the Mac scene. I was going to meantion that in my first post. I just bought my first Mac a year ago in June. I still don't like having to pay $80 for a few new features in iPhoto, the only one I'd probably use. Though I actually don't use any of the iLife apps now. I'll probably just get a new Mac with iLife '09 on it.

6. PikachuMan macrumors newbie

I think you do have still a point though. For anyone that recently bought a mac, the SL upgrade gives hugely more bang-for-the-buck than iLife 09.

As the other poster said though, this isn't a usual situation. OS upgrades usually cost $130, not $30.

7. AndrewLGP thread starter macrumors member

I guess it's $80 because it is a full copy of the '09 version of iLife, so people that have really old versions can still upgrade with it. I know it's not their style, but I just wish Apple would release an upgrade copy for people that have the '08 version. Maybe even release it digitally.

8. nissin macrumors newbie

didn't they have an upgrade price for the leopard upgrade if you already had tiger?

9. pdjudd macrumors 601

Yes, $130.