No one has asked this question: How could this have even HAPPENED?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMe, Jul 15, 2010.

1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

How can a major phone from a major company be released with an antenna that drops signal strength when held?

How thats even possible? Every major company has an R&D department to kink out things like that.

2. kuaiyouming, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  3. msavwah macrumors 6502

I blame gizmodo :p
    Really I'm with ya, don't get it either.

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

5. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

They carried the phones around for testing in cases like the one found at the bar, with the case on the problem didnt happen and so they had no idea until the phones were already pre ordered and shipping.

6. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

7. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Because they had those cases that looked like 3GS's covering the phones. Apple's secrecy ultimately f-cked the i4.

8. intervenient macrumors 6502a

9. kuaiyouming, Jul 15, 2010
  10. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

My big question is why is the proximity sensor issue getting such little attention? I have the death grip issue, but I put a case on and it pretty much fixed it for me, which is fine since I was gonna use a case anyway, but there's not **** I can do about the proximity sensor.

11. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

They probably knew about it. They just didn't think it would evolve onto the major problem that the media has turned it into.

12. msavwah macrumors 6502

True so concerned with secrecy that they overlooked it. Then came up with the bumper idea which really could just be considered a part of the iPhone 4.

Bumper should be in every iPhone box as an included accessory.
    Maybe that's the big news!

13. kuaiyouming, Jul 15, 2010
  14. tariqi macrumors newbie

Apple's obsession

My theory is that Apple's obsession for cleanliness and secrecy is what let this problem slip by them. At their campus, they have cell towers, so they would never experience a weak signal, and thus the problem would not occur. Another thing is that their testing labs in house are extremely sterile (so I've heard) so they very well would have never touched the iPhone with dirty/clammy/wet hands. And any testing done outside the campus was done in the case to disguise it as a 3GS. Again, just my theory.

15. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

How what could happen?

Some people with cell phones lose bars on their phone when they touch it?

The shock of it all...

16. randomerratum macrumors 6502

Exactly that point has been the one reason I've given Apple the benefit of the doubt. As sensational as a story it makes, they're not complete idiots. They never tested it outside of a case? Are you serious?

Cell phone technology is a science. Putting an antenna on the outside of a phone raises the question 'what happens if it's touched?' It's the first thing that popped into my head when I watched the keynote. But I quickly dismissed the idea because, it's stupid to assert that something so obvious wasn't considered in a bold new design.

Yes, hands can change the electromatic-quantum-flux-a-magical-reception of an antenna or whatever, so it makes sense that there should be complicated tuning mechanisms in place to account for various touches, grasps and grips if the device is designed to be held. Whatever that adjustment is, it's probably controlled by software, therefore I see it very possible a 'true' software fix is on the horizon.... if so, the only mystery is 'why is it taking so long?!'

17. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I would imagine in Apple's HQ, there's a microcell on every desk. Darth Vadar himself couldn't interfere with the signal. Every time they took it out into the wild, it was swaddled in a thick case.

18. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

News flash. If you're positive you have some clever groundbreaking insight into a topic that has been discussed in thousands of posts on hundreds of websites and has made headline news for two straight weeks on every tech blog and news site in the world, chances are 99.999999% that your clever groundbreaking insight is neither clever nor groundbreaking, nor will you have been the first to discuss it. And boldly claiming that no one has ever asked the question makes you look like a complete fool. Welcome to the internet, where your bright idea is last week's news.

19. kuaiyouming, Jul 15, 2010
  20. kiet macrumors newbie

21. rabmag macrumors member

Because it's starting to look like this issue is isolated to areas, rather than phones. Possibly hardware or software having difficulty with different frequencies.

In my post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=967894

You can see I'm gathering the locations of people who are unable to reproduce this issue. As you might notice...one of those users is from Cupertino. Bumper or no bumper...Apple was probably unable to reproduce the issue in that area, and Steve is probably STILL unable to reproduce the issue himself.

I'd like to see anyone from Cupertino that has this problem so they can meet with the other user and test their phone in the problematic area.

22. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

Absolutely right...and probably the best comment I've seen here in the past 2 weeks.

Pure speculation here but I believe the IP4 had it's fair amount of field testing. I'm working in product development for a bread making industry and new innovation products can easily take up to one year to develop and being launched...so with all the innovation technology in the Iphone 4, this product is not one that can be developed in a few weeks and get rushed to market. It's being on the drawing board for quite sometime now and the concept of the external antenna is not something someone at Apple had decided to implement overnight.

The original iPhone revolutionized smartphones and at this time is considered to be one of the best if not the best smartphone on the market (3GS) and I don't think Apple would have jeopardized that, Competitors are there and they are also making great products so Apple have way too much to loose in that story...this also forces me to believe that it's not possible that they always tested the phone in a case. If it's true, that means they are absolutely not serious in developing such products (especially one with external antenna) or highly incompetent. I also recall seeing on a Mac forum somewhere that in the IP4 development, they also had a plan B with a less major upgrade to the phone in case something major would have gone wrong in the last development phases of the actual IP4...which tells how serious they are in product development.

Having a skin to antenna contact or bridging the 2 antennae together...come on it's Basic RF 101 and people here seriously think they never saw that coming or SJ said launch that and f..ck you customers. It's not Apple and their highly praised customer service. The iP4 is being in all media all over the world so as I said, Apple have way too much to loose in this situation. I think they were well aware of the drawbacks of such design right off the bat and they have designed the phone accordingly. My opinion is that it's more probable that the actual issues of calls dropping are software related or related to the manufacturing process rather than a design flaw...of course not being an antenna expert, I might be wrong...

No matter Apple fanboys or haters, Apple is a serious company in the mobile phone business and I don't think they would have done such a dumb move. If they were stupid, dumb, incompetent or whatever haters like to qualify Apple, they would not have that much success in business and their stock would not be at 250$

23. VTAb182 macrumors regular

I believe you title is wrong. It should say "everyone", not "no one". Really, who hasn't wondered how it happened?

24. kuaiyouming, Jul 15, 2010
  25. michaelz macrumors regular

Things happens! How every I don't believe apple carelessly let it happen. Apple must have test human touch thousand times in their lab. Apple has to know the potential problem of the new design. And apple must have develop some secret technics make it work. That's why steve jobs is so prod of it at release. The factory may mess up in production since they don't really understand the importance of the little secret. That's why the problem is inconstance.

Apple will repair it tomorrow.