No one is buying Verizon iphone in my area

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hcho3, Feb 10, 2011.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I am off today from my work and I figured that it would be fun to go to my local stores and record some crazy iphone 4 lines. I went to best buy and Verizon wireless store. And.... there was no line. None, 0.

My local best buy opened at 7 am, but no one was there except employees. I went to Verizon wireless store and again. I saw 1 person inside the store with 8 reps.

What is going on...

I thought this would be so popular. Guess not really or is it just my area?

I saw no lines in 3 stores I went to.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Must just be your area.

I, as a long time Verizon customer, had been standing in line for 4 years.

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Well it did set a record for the most sold phone in Verizon history in only two hours. So it is popular just maybe not in your area or maybe most people around you preordered.

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I imagine some people who have waited this long are going to wait for the iPhone 5.

5. Krandor macrumors 6502

Exactly. This is a little different then a normal iPhone launch because it isn't a new phone. It is the same phone just on a new carrier.

6. shadrap macrumors 6502

I don't believe Verizon customers are to the same geekdom lets go camp out level of AT&T tweens.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh I disagree but I believe the pre-order was quite successful. People were even looking for loopholes that allowed them to preorder last week. As for camping, the iPhone is usually released in June ... you know, summer? I for one would not sit on my fat ass in front of any store in early February unless I was located in a nice warm state.

8. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Camping out? LOL. You DO realize that this phone has been out for almost a year already, yes?

Most people probably realize that there is no reason to stand in line for a product that you can't go 4 hours without tripping over one somewhere in public.

Verizon saying that they sold out in 2 hours but not releasing information on pre-order numbers sounds fishy to me.

9. dagored macrumors 65816

I posted in another thread that my mall opened early and had setup for long lines to Verizon. Two people were there at 8:10 and 4 sales reps.

10. Kblakeshot macrumors member

Where are you located? I am in Indianapolis, IN and am seeing the same exact thing.

My sister is a Verizon employee and she was telling me last week how they got trained for the lines and how everything was going to be crazy. They had directional ropes and gates and the whole nine set up. Only 4 people showed up, and that was right at 7am. And by the way she said they had 225 total.

11. 21ce macrumors member

Las Vegas, Town Square 6:30am (picture sent from my cousin)

Attached Files:

12. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

hahaha sounds like Verizon planned a massive party and nobody came. Whatever - I'm sure they will still make lots of money. I'm happy with AT&T, so I'm just waiting for the new phone this summer to upgrade my 3GS.

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Someone must have let out the secret you can buy the VeriPhone online.:eek::rolleyes:

14. patp Guest

Pre order? Pre supposes that it is supposed to happen before. It's not a post order. Just got off the phone with VZW and have been told that pre orders will ship by the 18th and that any Joe blow who does not have a VZW account can go on and get their phone sooner than anyone who pre ordered.

So the pre in pre order is really a post order. Meaning you get your pre ordered phone after everybody else.
    The rep I spoke with was totally help less and couldn't explain why they would have stock for stores today, but not have sufficient stock for the PRE order.

I'm going to go into the store and pick uo my phone or cancel VZW and go to AT&T.

VZW you dropped the ball othe PRE order.

15. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Considering current Verizon customers already pre-ordered and received their phones, and that most AT&T iPhone customers are locked into a 2-year contract, what did everyone expect? There will be customers who switch from AT&T to Verizon, but it's not going to be a mass exodus on Verizon launch day! Furthermore, they opened up pre-ordered again yesterday so many people would probably have their phone delivered to their door rather than standing in line at a store.

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

They have already had two days of ordering. There no reason for long lines. :cool:

17. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

This has been a brutal winter in many places in the US, so people are not going to be sleeping outdoors in these conditions for a phone. There's also the fact that online sales went relatively smoothly (which did not happen for the initial iPhone 4 launch). And even though Verizon customers were very excited about getting this device, the buzz is still nowhere near as big as it was last summer.

18. patp Guest

Just the pre orders from Feb 3 have been received. Those that ordered Feb 9 are SOL. Maybe by the 18th maybe later. VZW dropped the ball big time on the pre order. The rep told me they are delaying pre order shipments to ensure sufficient stock at each retail location. But now its looking like that was all for nothing. Screw the pre order guys, horde stock at the retail level only to find that no one is coming to this party.

VZW you suck, your reps suck and I want my phone!!

19. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why are people surprised there's little to no lines.
    You have the winter season making outside waiting unbearable. Then there's the fact that apple will be releasing the iPhone 5 in 3-4 months.

I'm a VZW customer and I'm not one of the drones willing to get locked into a 2 year contract on a phone that will be superseded shortly.

21. tucker3434 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

It was below freezing and snowing in ga this morning. I can't imagine how bad it was in other parts of the country. If I hadn't done the vzw presale I wouldn't have been in that line either. Thrilled to have one though.

22. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Explanation: Most of the Verizon customers that wanted one out of the gate, ordered it last week. And the few people waiting in lines across the country are probably 70% the remaining Verizon customers that wanted an iPhone and 30% folks from other carriers wanting an iPhone on Verizon.

Bottom line: The predicted mass exodus from AT&T isn't happening. At least, not yet. Maybe it will pick up as contracts get closer to expiring, but I honestly doubt it.

In a year, I'll be surprised if AT&T has lost more than 10% of its customers to Verizon.

Mark

23. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

My prediction: Apple will maintain different iPhone release schedules for the two carriers. Whatever new bling comes to the next iPhone in mid-year will be for AT&T only. Verizon customers will have to wait until the beginning of next year.

Mark

24. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

That doesn't even make sense.

25. doboy macrumors 68000

Why are you going around different stores so early in the morning on your day off? You need a better hobby:D