No one is talking about the 800lb Gorilla

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Oct 3, 2011.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

if there is just a spec bump on Tuesday and the Samsung Galaxy S2 HD LTE went into really big production and was dropped into major markets, all H-ll would break loose.

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Dude, as much as I like Android, I know a lot of iPhone users aren't interested in switching. People have invested in the app store already, and there is also the RDF to overcome. Many people, especially those who aren't technically minded, have it set in their mind that Android will never ever perform as well as or better than iOS.

4. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

If the new iPhone has only a 4" screen I will most likely be switching. I will try it out but 4.2" should be the minimum.

Android is very unpolished still but the hardware is starting to hide those shortcomings better. Although If someone would come out with a decent windows7 phone for Verizon I would switch to that!

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Yawn. 800 pound gorilla? Hardly.

Competition is good for everyone. Apple will continue to dominate in this space when Samsung sells their phone division to Motorola...

6. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

As much as I hate Android and would never go back there again, I wish more other iPhone users switch to Samsung, so that Apple take notice and improve. I can certainly handle the technical side of Andoird(whether I want to is another matter) so that's not the reason for hating it.

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm not saying people hate it cos it's too technical, but rather that many people prefer Apple because it's not really technical at all.

8. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a feeling you're going to be very disappointed if you're already expecting at least a four inch screen.

9. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

Lol! I thought for a second the poster was serious.

Oh wait....

10. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

I'd consider it if the Android phones has something even close to the build quality the iPhones have had.

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Well, if they managed to get iOS running on it I might agree...

12. oshia86 macrumors regular

After doing research on the S2, and finding that nearly every forum ended up looking like a support page, no thanks.

13. shadrap macrumors 6502

Links? I have studied many GS2 forums. There are way less problems so far than there was with the iPhone 4 and probably the upcoming 4s.

14. oshia86 macrumors regular

15. brian250 macrumors member

Apple should not be too worried about the customers they have, as you have said there are significant barriers to switching once you are on a platform. What Apple needs to worry about are the customers coming from dumbphones, feature phones and coming from Symbian, possibly BB too. Apple need a strong array of devices in Budget, MidRange and high end to compete with Android. For this reason I do believe there could be three handsets in the Holiday iPhone lineup

iPhone 4 (8GB and run-out 16GB, 32GB) Budget handset Aimed at PAYG, $0, or free from £20/month in the UK. Think BB Curve, HTC Wildfire S
    iPhone 4s (A5 processor, 1GB RAM, 5MP camera, Improved antenna, offered as 16 and 32 GB, possibly 64 gig too) Mid-Range handset $99, or free from £30/month in the UK. Think HTC Desire S.
    iPhone 5 (A5 processsor, 1GB RAM, 8MP camera, teardrop form factor) Premium handset $200, free at £40/month in the UK. Think HTC Sensation, Samsung Galaxy S II

Logically you wouldn't call the 5th iPhone the 4s unless you planned something else to be the 5. I honestly believe that Apple needs this spread of handsets if they are to maintain market share. The 'tweens' are likely to have an iPod or iPod touch, but the parents are unlikely to want to give them an iPhone at its current price point. Capturing them at a young age is crucial as they are more likely to go on to buy more iPhone and Mac products as they grow older.