No one talking about iWeb?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SpaceMagic, Jan 8, 2009.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Hey all,

I just haven't seen ANY talk about iWeb. Perhaps I'm blind (probably am...). Apple just released a fantastic iPhoto and iMovie, yet where is the discussion on iWeb's new features. I just checked out the website and am VERY happy because:

FTP Integrated!!

Also... there's now a cool widget browser!

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I use iWeb alot but I am bitterly disappointed that it almost got overlooked in iLife'09 as there are quite a few small improvements that would make the app absolutely brilliant instead of just good.

Whats the benefit of integrated FTP? What is integrated FTP?

I have MobileMe and when I publish my sites I click one button and up it goes. How is it going to differ in iLife'09?

Also if you look at the iWeb page there isnt anything actually new in this version. They have just refined the interface for inserting stuff.

3. seattle macrumors 6502

FTP is for users that do not use MoblieMe. It is a client that lets you transfer your iWeb files from your Mac to a hosting company. If you use MoblieMe it will not change how you publish your site with iLife 09.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Sorry should clarified. I know what FTP is I meant how is it integrated in iWeb? How does it work?

As it changes nothing for MobileMe publishers iWeb 09 hasnt really been updated for MM users has it?

I know I won't be purchasing it. It's a shame because iLife is a great suite of apps but I wont be paying £70 for face recognition.

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

it allows you to publish your files to a server that you have set up in iweb..

6. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Basically, those of us who don't have MobileMe used to have to export every time we wanted to update our site. We would update - export to folder - open our ftp client and over right the entire site.

A slow an labourious process!

Now, FTP is integrated like MobileMe is in the new iWeb. Basically I can update my site from within iWeb and it will only upload the files I have changed... rather than me doing the entire site. So so much better.

7. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I understood that the first time! ;)

To all, just some thoughts (consider this a blog):

That's a nice feature, but I have to be honest, it's the kind of thing that makes people want to use iWeb for more than just static web pages. It's turning into a poor man's RapidWeaver, slowly. Meaning, as Apple adds on more features that go outside the original marketing concept and target audience of iWeb, we're going to get alot more technically savvy folks on this forum asking for help on how to add this or that cool feature they've seen on the Internet via iWeb. If they can now FTP easily to any host, they will also realize such hosts offer server side PHP, ASP, ColdFusion, database formats, SSI, shell access, and so on. Maybe it's a good thing, I guess, it might spawn some developers out there - but it also will be a headache for offering support here as people will realize there are still major limitations to iWeb and might ask about those cool hosting features, here. Makes me scratch my head as to Apple's ultimate direction with this product.

-jim

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I honestly thought they just didn't do anything to iWeb and that's why it didn't get mentioned. I'm not an iWeb user though, so I wouldn't mind if they dropped it, but would also be equally delighted if they fixed it. That likely won't happen till version 4 though if ever.

9. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Darn, I was hoping for SFTP.

Is this the only thing that has changed in the new iWeb?

10. Giovannino macrumors member

No one is talking about iWeb since they basically didn't change anything to it
    except FTP and better managing multiple websites. Everything else they added is useless or was there before (only differently).

The worsest thing is that they didn't improve the way iWeb manages HTML Codes. There are stilly those ugly and useless HTML Snippets.

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I was wondering if it only updated the changed files like RW does because like you said it was painful and for me a waste to upload my site every time I made just even one change. I know the intent of iWeb, but if adding say two to four pictures or cartoons, to upload the entire site was lack luster and I'm far from a web developer/designer, I'll leave that to all the folks that do that for a living or are very good at it.
    So this, for me is a plus for the time being. Still simple, basic and for the most part to the point :D