No OpenGL?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FinalCutJay, Nov 12, 2008.

1. FinalCutJay macrumors member

Just purchased the MBP 2.53 GHz and it came Monday, so i've been spending the last 2 days loading up all my apps. Finally installed After Effects CS3.

Went into the preferences panel and was setting up the previews and I see that the 9600 does not support OpenGL. So I am thinking to myself WTF?

How can this be touted as a high performance machine? I use FCP/AE probably 70/30. But even FCP filters now use OpenGL and now I'm wondering where are my performance levels going to be at? Is it really true no OpenGL?

I also popped in WoW and noticed when i leave the game or sometimes when opening up the system preferences window all my desktop icons move to the middle of the screen. When you go to View>Arrange By>Kind the middle of the screen becomes the default icon position instead of the absolute right of the screen.

2. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Are you using the 9600 graphics, or 9400 (weaker, integrated) graphics?

3. FinalCutJay thread starter macrumors member

4. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hmmm.. interesting... so your power is set to High performance, yeah? But no OpenGL... Hmmm... That's strange. Mine does

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

OS X is built on OpenGL. If you didn't have it, you wouldn't have a working Mac.

--Eric

6. FinalCutJay thread starter macrumors member

Is there an After Effects user out there that can confirm?

Eric5h5 thank you for your very insight full comment.

Apple's website doesn't state anywhere the detailed specifics of the video card. The issue i see with AE might be a simple update for the CS3 version.

Anyone know of a benchmark test to run to examine video card performance with OpenGL?

7. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

http://xbench.com/

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Actually it was correct, despite you liking their post or not.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/
    [​IMG]

9. FinalCutJay thread starter macrumors member

you sent me to a link about Leopard info. and in the key technologies that Leopard supports OpenGL which is different from the tech specs of the video card that comes with the MBP 2.53GHz

10. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

It's has the same OpenGL support as it's desktop variant, that is, OpenGL 2.0.

He is correct that if the card did not support it, that OS X would currently not be displaying on your machine at all.

Also, it might just be a bug with After Effects for the time being since these machines are so new, or maybe a fix will come from Apple, send some emails, be proactive about it. Adobe does offer support on their products.

I have no issues like you've mentioned with WoW on my machine.

Try a re-install? any number of things could be attributing to this.

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

So in your world they decided to drop support for one of the core technologies of OS X? :rolleyes:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Quartz_Compositor

Open your system profiler. If your system's video card supports a technology called Quartz Extreme, your Video card supports Open GL.

Picture 1.jpg

I am not currently using my 9600M GT, so you will have to look on your own system. Rest assured, it supports Quartz Extreme, and Core Image.

[​IMG]

12. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

The bugs you are having are due to the software you are using, not OS X, or the hardware of your MBP. Take it up with Adobe/Blizzard.