No optical drive on macbook? WHY?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheOnlyOasis, Jan 13, 2008.

1. TheOnlyOasis macrumors newbie

I'm really aggravated after finding out that the new macbooks will most likely not have an optical drive. My budget is 1500 dollars max, and I was going to buy the 1299 macbook, but decided to wait until MWSF. However, apparently they're taking out the optical drive... so I'll have to buy an old outdated mac just to have it built in?

I wanted to use my mac for school projects where we would need to make a video for class that i could burn onto a CD, or to watch DVDs on a plane or long car ride or something. I may just end up getting a new dell with an optical drive in it instead if the rumors turn out to be true.

Do most people not use the CD drives anymore or what? I think getting rid of it is a VERY high price to pay just to make the macbook a little slimmer. GAH. What do you guys think, is it worth it?

2. mr.light macrumors 6502

The new Macbook is not REPLACING the old one. It will be in addition to the existing line.:rolleyes:

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think you are confusing the MacBook with the rumored ultraportable Mac. The MacBooks will have an optical drive, too many things are dependent upon optical media for apple to drop it this early.

4. Chrispy88 macrumors member

The new product, if it came with no internal optical drive, would HAVE to come with an external one :) Knowing Apple, the external optical drive would be easy to carry around with you. So, if you needed to burn things onto a DVD or wanted to watch a DVD on a plane, you'd just bring along your ultra-slim optical drive.

Personally, I never use my optical drive (except to load apps). So, I'd prefer it to be external. I use iTunes, not DVDs, for most of my video content as it is :)

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Whoa! They aren't putting an optical drive in the new sub-notebook MacBook Air because it's too thin. Just like all the other sub-notebooks that use an external optical drive because they're too small - nobody makes an optical drive small enough.

The form factor of the MacBook and MacBook Pro will likely be unchanged and will continue to have optical drives just as they alway have.

Anyway, wait two days and then you'll know whether or not you have something be upset about.

6. Hmac macrumors 68020

Likely true, but knowing Apple, the external optical drive will be something you have to pay extra for. That's been common in the industry. My old IBM X-40 didn't have an optical drive. I had to buy the dock, which did, or buy an external. Wasn't part of the deal. I ordered it with the docking station, which added a lot of bulk, but I also bought a Targa external DVD-ROM that plugged into the USB ports. Like the MacBook Air will likely have, my X-40 had a power plug ("special" USB port") built into the side to run it. It wasn't very convenient, but I mainly used the thing on the road and found I rarely needed an optical drive.

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Essentially, you are complaining because you can't yet afford Apple's cheapest portable option.

Umm...:confused:

8. TheOnlyOasis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies and clearing the stuff up for me, everyone! I guess it won't be so bad if the external doesn't cost much and is easy to carry around.

Nope... I was just saying that I'm frustrated about it not having an optical drive. :)

9. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Substantial HD space and external drives removed any real need for me to care for optical drives on a notebook - I have a desktop that can handle all disc-reading duties.

I have backups of all my DVDs that I can take on the road with me, saving physical space as they're in a digital format and I'm guessing making the battery last longer since it doesn't have to spin a disc furiously for one or two hours.

Burning CDs? People still do that?? :p The ubiquity of USB external thumb drives has really removed a lot of the need for that in my environment.

The only real reason I use my disc drive nowadays is to burn an audio CD for the car, and a lot of new systems will allow you to just plug your iPod directly in. iPods make for nice compact external drives too...

It's not all about being slim either.. being light would be more important. There are 13 inch laptops with features that would make a MacBook blush (see the LG P300 - HDMI, LED, 2GB RAM standard... and 3.5lbs compared to MacBook's 5!) - I'm thinking travellers will also appreciate the weight benefit of no internal optical drive too if they also use their notebooks in this way.

So, well, there are some pros for no optical. I'm guessing there would still be an optional disc drive, just in external usb/fw form which you can detach when not required. That would be the best setup I think.

10. TheOnlyOasis thread starter macrumors newbie

Dang jnc, those are some good points actually. When it comes down to it, I can just download the DVD's to my computer from an external drive and watch them that way, right?

I just want CDs so I can listen to them through the CD player in my room and for CDs in the car.

Also, my parents always want digital pictures to be in CD form as a backup... especially after our computer crashed once and we lost a lot of memories form pictures :)(). Sure, thats less likely to happen on a mac, but better safe than sorry.

I guess I just hope that the externaloptical drive better not be too expensive...

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

There are lots of small inexpensive external USB CD drives, if the Apple solution is too expensive..

If you don't need something super small for travel, any of these would be fine if you left them at home...

12. je1ani macrumors 6502

No watching DVDs on the plane? What is apple taking out the hard drive too?

13. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

OK really. Everyone here thinks Apple will totally get rid of the optical drive?

Have you people read any of the rumors?

Rumors state that the ultra portable will come with an external optical drive that can be left at home when not needed.

You people are silly.

14. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Could be Flash Memory instead of hard drive ;)

15. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

because there will be an external opitcal drive

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Wow...

Dude, now we're getting aggravated not only at models Apple won't make (mid-range tower), but now we're upset about RUMORS of Apple products?

How exactly would the introduction of a slim, optical drive less laptop make the existing Macbook obsolete?

17. TheOnlyOasis thread starter macrumors newbie

appleretailguy: If the new notebook came out and they discontinued the one with the optical drive, then I would consider it to be obsolete, yes. And you're saying that the fact that I'm discouraged by a more-than-likely rumor is wrong?

18. Bardsley macrumors newbie

But there's no way they'll replace a macbook with a macbook air. They replaced the iPod mini with the iPod nano, not the shuffle...

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup absolutely not, the "macbook air" was supposed to be an ultraporatble MBP. so therefore the MB will still be a grade down in specs/price from the airmac or whateva it is and the MBP.

20. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Massive apologies if this sounds patronising, but I think you're getting a little confused.

There rumour of an ultra thin 'macbook air' is that it will be exactly that, an ultra thin (ultra mobile) notebook.

The Macbook is a consumer product, where as the 'Macbook air' isn't likely to be. The Macbook air is also likely to cost more than the Macbook (maybe somewhere in between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro).

The Macbook's replaced the iBook, and Apple have had 'consumer' line notebooks for some time (the iBook was around since early G3 models), and therefore I doubt they will suddenly drop the consumer line, especially as most of their revenue from PC switchers comes from the Macbooks.

I think as long as you remember that the Macbook Air is a completely different product and will be an ADDITION to the current line up, you'll be ok :)

21. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

What?

That is a ridiculous assumption. There isn't a chance in hell a new product like that would REPLACE the Macbook.

But let's say it did...what's to stop you from buying the existing Macbook? I would.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

or even a refurbished one??

23. TheOnlyOasis thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha... you're right, I misunderstood. I was under the impression that it would replace the consumer macbook. Thanks a lot for clearing that up =]

PS: Its impressive how fast people reply on this site... this must be a really active message board. Nice.

24. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

No need to worry, the MacBook line won't be going anywhere.

25. je1ani macrumors 6502

nerds on a computer forum?