No option for 100% full screen?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hoosierxhoosier, Feb 8, 2011.

1. hoosierxhoosier macrumors newbie

I bought an Imac. I know this is not what OSX was designed for, but come on. I have only a 21" screen as it is, so having to have even less than that is really upsetting me. I love my Mac, but this is the only thing that is giving me a headache.

I have tried dragging the bottom of the page to the bottom, but it always leaves a very small space left on the bottom, where you can still see a small part of the desktop wallpaper. It not 100% filling the screen. I tried RIGHTZOOM and it did the same thing, and left a small space not filled at the bottom.

PLEASE somebody help me. There has to be a way to somehow make windows full screen, its 2011. Pleas help, thank you!

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

3. hoosierxhoosier thread starter macrumors newbie

I just installed RightZoom again and all in does is fill the screen up from left to right, but there is still some space at the bottom where I can see my wallpaper.

Is there seriously nothing that can just freaking fill the whole screen up?

4. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I think you'll find that if you move the position of your dock to the left or right side of the screen, your windows will go all the way to the bottom.

If it's a browser window you're talking about, I believe Chrome and Firefox have full screen features that are nice.

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Have you tried Cincn? Appears to be suggested and pleasing to several folks.

6. hoosierxhoosier thread starter macrumors newbie

So there is NOTHING that can just make apps fill the whole screen 100%?

Unbelievable...I really love my Mac. They could have included this option for people who want full screen. There has to be SOMETHING that fixes this problem....

7. solos72 macrumors newbie

BetterTouchTool

I use BetterTouchTool. The feature must be enabled first in the program. It will allow you to move a window to the top of the menu bar, when you let it go, it will maximize that window to full screen. The dock must be hidden. If the dock is not hidden it will fill the window to the top of the dock. It has other neat features for mouse gestures. Hope that helps

8. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Many people feel this way when they switch to Mac from windows. But its actually a concious decision by apple. give it a bit of time and you may even get to like it more. Personally, I find full screen really annoying the vast majority fo the time. Sure, there are times when I want it, but its pretty rare.

In the end, apple decided that a window should take up the amount of screen real estate it needs to. making it full screen doesn't make the text larger, or anything more readable, all it does its make sure you can't see anything else in the background. I lvoe being able to layer windows, see them and go to them eaisly without having to find them in a menu, the dock, or the windows task bar (which doesn't always give enough information for me to be able to distinguish which window is which). I think the apple way makes much more sense. Why should a window take up my entire screen when it doesn't have to. Not saying there aren't some exeptions, and it would be nice if apple had an elegant way to enable it if you did need it for some reason, but I would advocate that you give it a shot and try it the apple way without the hate and see if you find its actually better. Thats been my experience.

9. solos72 macrumors newbie

I am going to agree with you. I too from a windows environment was pretty upset at first that I was not able to do this. I now find the advantages of not having a window maximized. I love how on my MBP I can resize my Safari to 1024x768 and still have screen to have a mini window of a dvd playing and another window displaying other info. I only use the full screen option when I want to read long log files. Otherwise I'm liking working out of several windows on the screen.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

And this is a big deal because...

There is. It's an adjustment of the user's perspective.

+1... Well, except for that last sentence. In my case, it's never. So I guess I'd have to change "vast majority of" to "all".

11. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

What about changing the background image for the same image with a black band at the bottom so you no longer see it.

12. svenn macrumors 6502

You can do this in windows too, so I'm not sure what the point is here.

If you don't want something full screen, then it is simple to change the window size. Similarly, if you do want full screen, it should be just as simple. I don't know why they prevent this and call it a feature, or why people decided to like it because apple did it. I bet if this "feature" was in Windows too, people would raise hell.

13. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

14. Glumpfner macrumors regular

I switched from Windows to Mac in 2008 and had the same problem. It's not that there is no full screen, its that the green full-size button on the top left of every window only makes it as big as the site needs to be and not full screen.

You can simply drag the window to the top left corner, and then click the bottom right corner of any window and stretch it to full screen, works with almost every program.

After 3 years with Mac, I still prefer fullscreen and I am using the following programs in fullscreen all the time:

- Chrome
    - Firefox
    - Safari
    - Mail
    - Photoshop
    - Dreamweaver
    - iPhoto
    - iMovie
    - Garageband
    - MS Word
    - MS Excel

All those Apps can be stretched into full screen.

15. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I know a couple or few years back there was a script that you could write in AppleScript, and save as a .app that would do this to just about any window...but heck if I can find that info anywhere now.

Anyone?

16. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Just found this...It might be worth a look for those who really want full screen.

http://jon.smajda.com/2007/06/30/keyboard-control-for-mac-os-x-windows/

Best, and I'll try it this weekend, but looking forward to hearing how it goes for any of you.

17. hoosierxhoosier, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2011

hoosierxhoosier thread starter macrumors newbie

No option for 100% full screen?!

Yes I know OSX wasnt designed for this, but they should have included it as an option for people who want it.

When you drag an application to maximize it, you can always see your desktop wallpaper at the very bottom, it is not 100% covering the screen. It is so annoying. Is there an app that can make an application cover 100% of the screen?

FYI, Rightzoom just does what I described above, showing the desktop wallpaper at the bottom. Please somebody help me?

MOD NOTE: Threads Merged. Please do not start more than one thread for the same issue. Thanks.

18. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

An application can choose to go into "true full screen" mode (often used by games,) but other than that, you are correct, there will always be a couple pixes of empty space at the bottom. (Or whichever side you have your dock on.)

19. hoosierxhoosier thread starter macrumors newbie

If there app that can force an application to cover my whole screen?

20. hoosierxhoosier thread starter macrumors newbie

21. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

No. Just automated the top left corner move, and drag out to bottom right.

I guess if that's what you want to call full screen. I think the OP was looking for something more though.

Sorry about not replying back on that. Was still looking for a solution, but haven't found one yet.

I don't know....I find myself not using full screen on Windows when I have to use it anymore. Especially at the resolutions that monitors use these days, I feel like it's wasted real-estate to have any window other than Video Editing or Design type windows that use multiple pallettes and the like, open all the way across the screen.

I'll keep an eye out though, in case I come across that original script.

22. hoosierxhoosier thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man, appreciate it.

Oh, I heard that Lion is having a real full screen option is this true? If it is, I may get it. I just bought my Imac 3 months ago, if there any deal that Apple will give me on Lion if I upgrade? Do they usually do that? Thanks in advance.

23. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

The Operating System software (OS X) is generally not expensive. Particularly when compared to the cost of a Windows distribution.

The most recent update from Leopard (10.5) to Snow Leopard (10.6) was only $29 US.

I expect Lion to cost a bit more considering it looks like a full featured update to the whole system. I'm gonna guess anywhere from $49 to $79 for that one.