Resolved No option for MS-DOS (FAT) on new HDD. Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by knightmare456, Aug 20, 2015.

1. knightmare456 macrumors newbie

knightmare456

Hi there, I hope someone can help me. I've just bought a new hard drive today, it's a Samsung M3 4TB, I already own two 2TB versions of the M3 and I've never had any problems with either so far.

The problem is that I can't seem to format the 4TB version to MS-DOS (FAT), there's no option for some reason. I've tried all my other hard drives and flash drives and they all have the option. I'll upload a screenshot to show you what I mean. Does anyone know a way around this? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. chown33 macrumors 604

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

also please note that the partition map scheme is GUID for your 4 TB drive, instead of MBR for your 2 TB.

4. knightmare456 thread starter macrumors newbie

knightmare456

Thanks for the info, i created two partitions with 2TB each and I was able to format them with FAT32, unfortunately my PS3 still wouldn't recognise it.

Thanks, I looked up GUID and MBR on Wikipedia but I couldn't understand it. I'm guessing for me to use it with my PS3 it would have to be partitioned using MBR, but my 4TB HDD is not compatible, is that about right?

5. Mikael H macrumors 6502

There's no cause for not being able to use an MBR with a 4 TB HDD to my knowledge; you just have to specify it when partitioning the drive (under Partition -> Options -> Master Boot Record).

6. knightmare456 thread starter macrumors newbie

knightmare456

It won't let me use MBR, that option is greyed out.

Attached Files:

7. Mikael H macrumors 6502

Yep, sorry, you're entirely right. I refreshed my memory, and MBR can't address disks larger than 2 TB. Then I guess you're out of luck there. Find another use for your 4TB disk and get a smaller one for the PS3 (but google that use case before you put more money into it).

8. knightmare456 thread starter macrumors newbie

knightmare456

^^

Thanks for letting me know, I'll just return it, it's no good to me if I can't hook it up to my PS3. I suppose I'll probably end up buying another couple of 2TB's.