No option for Network Account Server under Accounts?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by someguy, Mar 8, 2011.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I'm probably losing my mind, but I have a PowerMac G5 here with Leopard on it and I was asked to connect it to our Network Account Server like the rest of our Macs. The setting doesn't seem to exist on this machine, and I know there's a good reason why, but I don't know what that reason is.

I go to System Preferences > Accounts > Login Options, and I don't see anything about this option.

Is this an Intel Mac-only feature, or what?

2. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Whoa. I just Googled "mac network account server" and this post was on the first page of results, 10 minutes after posting it. :eek:

3. stev3n macrumors 6502

I am not sure if this what you're looking to do but have you tried pressing :apple: (command on some keyboards) and K while in Finder. Or by clicking Go > Connect to Server. It will bring up the Connect to Server box.

4. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks for replying!

Unfortunately, that isn't what I'm looking to do. :(

We have a Snow Leopard Server on the network that we use for iCal server and a few other things, and to set up those services on our Macs, we connect to the Network Account Server using a setting in System Preferences. This setting doesn't seem to exist on a PowerMac G5 running Leopard. See the big ugly red circle in my screenshot below:

[​IMG]

5. Hydramus macrumors member

That button is only there on Snow Leopard. To join a Network Account Server in Leopard, you can launch Directory Utility which is found in the Utilities folder or just use Spotlight. That should take you to the bit you need where you can enter the details.

6. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thank you! I will try this and report back if I have any problems. :D

7. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

That was what I was looking for, and I've added the server to the list, but it works a bit differently than in Snow Leopard.

First of all, I did not see a way to authenticate as a user. I simply added the server and it "connected".

Second, I see no options to set up the services offered by the server, such as iCal and Mail.

iCal is the big thing here, and when I add the account in iCal, it says it can't reach the server. It could when I added it in Directory Utility! Also, the same account works on my MacBook running Snow Leopard just fine.