No option for night shift mode

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Doorster428, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Doorster428 macrumors newbie

I just updated my iPhone 5 & I went to display & brightness but there is no option for night shift mode. Anyone else have this problem?

2. ashindnile macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, Night Shift is a feature for 64bit only devices. It doesn't support iPhone 5 and below. :(

3. Doorster428 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh.

4. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

Wow. 64 bit required to change the hue? What a scam

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

More and more of the newer features are implemented using newer frameworks and libraries which are 64-bit only as technology has been moving in that area for some time now.

6. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

ya but that's a business decision not a tech one. the app that was pulled (FlexBright) implemented f.lux perfectly on 32-bit devices.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sure, just as it is a business decision for an app to work with only iOS 8 or 9 and up, or to be compatible with OS X Yosemite or above, or anything else like that which has been around for many years in the computing world.

8. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

like how its a "business decision" to have killed windows 98 & that we still arent using it on today's hardware like skylake?

9. Act3 macrumors 6502a

one of my lcd monitors is over 8 years old and it has color temperature settings in the monitor setup menu. not sure that technology has anything to do with why the 32 bit devices don't support night shift

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

The code and the underlying libraries and frameworks that are used to develop a feature.

11. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Really common and for good reason. It doesn't make smart business sense to keep putting in lots of work to make very old devices work with new features. Also means addition devices you now need to provide support for when they run into issues with it.

Additionally, it means additional system resource requirements which the older devices are going to have a harder time keeping up with. That means an even slower experience for those on already old devices that see slowdowns as is.

12. Finnaqua macrumors newbie

Finnaqua

One of the devices I have is an iPad Mini. In this 9.3 version the night shift mode is not available

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's only for 64-bit devices.

14. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

sure. but that has nothing to do with this business decision because f.lux can run perfectly on 32-bit devices.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's a decision to basically use the latest and possibly more efficient or better in some other ways 64-bit frameworks and libraries to create a new feature rather than doing it using older frameworks and libraries that Apple is moving away from. Whether it's more of a business, product, engineering decision that can be debated, but is more or less moot.