No option in Mac Safari 12.0 to block popup windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gogreen1, Oct 3, 2018.

1. gogreen1 macrumors regular

gogreen1

I hate ask a dumb question, but I'm trying to block popup windows in Safari on an iMac--you know, those windows to participate in surveys or subscribe to a website's newsletters. I've read plenty of online help, and they all include instructions to check "block popup windows." When I enter Safari's preferences and security tab, there is no option to block popup windows. Did I miss something? Does that option appear elsewhere?I'm using MacOS Mojave 10.14 with Safari 12.0. Thanks.

2. liya1201 macrumors regular

Safari -> Preferences -> Websites -> Pop-up Windows

3. gogreen1 thread starter macrumors regular

gogreen1

Thanks, liya1201. That option lets me enter individual websites, but I was looking for an option to block all popups, as a "block popup windows" option implies. I'm also concerned that I cannot find that option in Safari, when it appears in online Safari instructions.

4. rpmurray macrumors regular

Have you tried it without having a site loaded in the current window?

5. chabig macrumors 603

It's right there in Safari -> Preferences -> Websites -> Pop-up Windows, just as liya1201 said. The default behavior is at the bottom "When visiting other websites."

6. gogreen1 thread starter macrumors regular

gogreen1

OK. Thanks, chabig. I've set "When visiting other websites" to "block." That should do it, right?

7. chabig macrumors 603

8. gogreen1 thread starter macrumors regular

gogreen1