No Option to Buy a Contract Free iPhone 4 Online

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mashinhead, Jul 19, 2010.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

When you select the buy now button for the iPhone 4 it takes you to a page asking you to open a new line or replace an existing phone, etc. What if you want to pay full price and buy a contract free phone, or use your line to confirm that you are an AT&T customer and buy a contract free phone. How does that work.

2. stacey graham macrumors newbie

3. EzhnoWolf macrumors member

As far as I know, at the moment you can only buy unlocked, contract-free iPhone 4s from the UK.

Starting July 30th, you can buy unlocked, contract-free iPhone 4s in Canada.

If you are in the states, there is no possibility of buying a LEGALLY unlocked, contract-free iPhone.

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

In order to buy a contract free iPhone here in the U.S., you still have to have a AT&T account and have that account converted to an iPhone account. A contract free phone will not start a new contract, you still have to be on a plan.

When you go through with buying one, you choose to replace your current phone and then it checks your eligibility. If you are not eligible for the $199/$299 price, it should offer you the $699 price.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Fixed that for ya.

Their is nothing illegal about unlocking an iPhone. It is your equipment to do with as you please once you buy it. Though Apple can put up as many road blocks as they please to try and prevent unlocking.

Edit: If you want a contract free unlocked iPhone 4 you can get one on eBay though I would wait for an official release of pwnage tool and ultrasn0w. You could also buy a factory unlocked model from a country that offers it. Then you don't have to wait on iOS updates.

6. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

I know how to unlock it just fine. I want to know how I can get one without opening a new lime or adding a line, or opening and account. I just want to order online and pay the no contract price.

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You can't on AT&T. It requires an open account no matter what kind of service is on it. It then has to be converted to an iPhone service plan.

Other than this, your only choice is eBay or CL.

8. macreator macrumors regular

macreator

When the iPhone 4 becomes available in Canadian Apple Stores, will it theoretically be possible for an American (like myself) to simply drive across the border to Montreal and purchase a factory unlocked iPhone? Can anyone confirm there won't be any roadblocks?

9. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You can get one from Italy for about $800-900 when they release it on July 30th.

10. macreator macrumors regular

macreator

I think I'll stick with the local route.

11. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

If you want a factory unlocked phone and don't want to jailbreak, then get one from canada (it'll be slightly expensive).

12. spacedcadet macrumors regular