No Option to disable 3G on iOS 8 GM !

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ahmedouvix, Sep 14, 2014.

1. ahmedouvix macrumors member

ahmedouvix

Hey people

i have iPhone 5 A1429

I currently installed iOS 8 GM

The problem is i can't find the option to disable 3G

my phone originally has a problem. it can't work with 3g. in iOS 7 when i enable 3G i get *No service* in the bar and i can't make calls, etc, and i had to disable 3G to make it work again.

Now i can't disable 3G .. any thing i can do? i don't have warranty and changed the sim used all the carriers in my country and my phone didn't work with 3G only works with 2G

in my country we don't have LTE too .. which now i have an option to disable it

any fix?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

3. ahmedouvix thread starter macrumors member

ahmedouvix

Back to iOS 7 and i can't get a new phone.

No way to disable 3g?

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Not that I am aware of.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I haven't seen a switch to disable 3G since iOS 4 or 5 at the earliest.

6. ahmedouvix thread starter macrumors member

ahmedouvix

iOS 7.1.2

Attached Files:

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Do you have 4G where you are? Because that switch on my phone says "Disable 4G."

8. ahmedouvix thread starter macrumors member

ahmedouvix

We don't have 4G LTE in my country so i don't have an option to disable it on iOS 7.1.2 .. but on iOS 8 i have an option to disable LTE

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Ahh, wow. Yeah, I haven't seen that switch since my iPhone 4. On my phone it's LTE.

10. that be me macrumors 6502

It was like this for me on iOS 7.0. If it should be there it will most likely come with 8.0.1.

11. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

Does your carrier have iPhones for sale through them officially?

The carrier file needs to be updated through iTunes. So if you restore with their SIM in then it will load their carrier file.

If your carrier doesn't have iPhone, then you could restore using an AT&T or other carrier sim and see if the option an come back.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have "Enable 3G" on my 4S, but I find it easier to toggle aeroplane mode if I want to turn it off.

13. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Even in India, we don't have 4g yet. So waiting for the local service providers to release their update file.

It's not an issue most of the times. However, few places with patchy 3G network could be a real battery drainer and turning on edge is better.

14. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

I think your carrier has to enable it. Probably a few weeks after iOS 8, you will see a carrier update for this feature.

My carrier hasn't had the "enable 3G" feature since like iOS 5.

15. ahmedouvix thread starter macrumors member

ahmedouvix

Yes the sell iPhones officially. I restore through iTunes with the sim and i still get the 3g option in iOS 7 only, on iOS 8 i get LTE option.

I contacted my carrier about the carrier package and they told me they have no idea about it. Probably i should wait the official release.

----------

Yes that's what i think too. We don't have LTE in egypt and 3g is still kinda weak in some places so we still have that 3g disable option.

----------

Yes, you got the problem. Edge is better for me even the 3g is not working but for the battery drain and temperature problems. I will wait the service provider update and ask the support about it tomorrow.

----------

But You can't receive calls in airplane mode :D .. Not a fix for me

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well since my phone doesn't have 4G, I can't get calls with 3G off either :p

17. ammusk macrumors regular

I have the same problem here in India.

The 3G toggle was replaced by a LTE toggle by a carrier settings update in iOS 7.0. That was roughly 9 months ago. My carrier Airtel hasn't provided an updated carrier settings which changed this even though LTE is available in only a handful of cities.

So, basically what has happened is that your carrier has updated their settings for iOS 8 and were either forced to remove the 3G toggle in favor of LTE OR sloppily didn't bother requesting Apple to provide the 3G toggle. More often than not, it's the latter.

So basically, my iPhone has it's 3G always on and faces a battery drain because of it. However, since 3G is prevalent in my country and I tend to browse while on the move, I'm better off by having my 3G always on.

Learn to live with it if you're country has decent 3G coverage.

18. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

You on Spark?

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Skinny, but yeah, same thing. Looking forward to the 26th so I can get onto 4G! :D

20. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I'll be stuck on HSPA+ Which btw is good enough. In west auckland I get around 8-11mbps and in 2 areas I visited I got 22Mbps!

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Lucky! 3G is really congested here; it's become a bit faster as people move to LTE, but it still hangs around 2 Mb/s on a good day. I used to get 10-12 Mb/s a few years ago, but of course there's been an explosion of smartphones and not enough network expansion (all we've had in the past few years is addition of 2100 MHz infill to one site). Auckland has far more towers so the load is probably distributed a bit better.

22. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

If I'm not wrong, you guys have nearly gotten a full fibre rollout?

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My street's supposed to be finished by the end of November! :)

24. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Yeah Auckland is no where near done.

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

For what it's worth, I got 55 Mb/s on Spark 4G today at 12 pm. Not bad for "rush hour" as it were, and a huge improvement over the ~2 Mb/s that I used to get over 3G :)

Coverage doesn't reach as far as my house, but I don't really need it here anyway since I have my desktop and Wi-Fi.