Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cp12321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I have searched high and low for third party software that allows you to do this in Mac OSX Lion with seemingly no solution to be found. Therefore, I do not expect this post to make any difference. I just want to vent because I find it inconceivable that Apple could overlook such a (should be) standard OS feature. Such things make me want to just say "screw it" and use Windows 7 as my primary OS on my Macbook Pro.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Are you new to OSX? Why would you think that it supposed to be a standard OS feature?

If you compare it to windows, win 7 doesn't have a menu bar, they have a task bar. Those two things are different.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Look for the program called Nocturne. It provides the option to hide the menu bar as well as other options.

cp12321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I wouldn't say that I am new to OSX as I have been using it for months since I bought my Pro. And I had exposure to previous versions of OSX as well but not on a regular basis. I get the differences between the two OS's and overall by far prefer OSX over Windows. However, this is about accommodating those who prefer to max out their screen space. I need my entire screen free from top to bottom. Apple should do something about this.....

cp12321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I have Nocturne 1.0.4 already and it didn't seem to have any options related to the menu bar.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have Nocturne 1.0.4 already and it didn't seem to have any options related to the menu bar.

What you do is set it to dim when in active and have the slider all the way to the left. v2.0.0

Screen Shot 2011-12-06 at 9.22.04 PM.png

cp12321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I have downloaded v2.0.0 from several different sites with the same result - first time I try to open it, it does nothing, second time, it turns the night mode on but gives me no application window to change any settings in.

gspannu

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
UK
OSX Applications that are fully Lion Compatible have a full screen mode, in which the menu bar is auto-hidden, thereby giving you the real estate you require.

Not a perfect solution but better than nothing !

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I have downloaded v2.0.0 from several different sites with the same result - first time I try to open it, it does nothing, second time, it turns the night mode on but gives me no application window to change any settings in.

Look in your menubar. Click on the icon for Nocturne and choose preferences...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.