No option to keep window below dock in 10.6?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spree, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Spree macrumors newbie

This is a bit of a strange problem, and I'm not entirely certain what caused the behavior I liked in the first place. I thought it was a Snow Leopard problem, but friends of mine have said they've never had the behavior I seem to have lost.

I use Adium every day, and I like to have my window in the bottom corner of my screen, below the top of the dock, like so:

[​IMG]

In Leopard, this window always stayed in its position, even if I closed it. However, after upgrading to Snow Leopard, the bottom of the window aligns itself to the top of the dock.

[​IMG]

This is an irritating behavior and I'd like the old one back, however, I've done some pretty extensive searching to no avail.

In lieu of getting this exact behavior back, could anyone recommend a program that might force the window to remember its old position or lock positions or something?

Thanks.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That behavior is application specific (to a certain extent) the developer codes that behavior.

3. Spree thread starter macrumors newbie

That's good information to know, thank you. I downgraded to an earlier version of the program I used back in Leopard just now, though, and it's made no difference (wiped all the old pref files, etc).

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

hmmm maybe it's not up to the developer anymore. Apple may have changed an API, or some dock behavior so now no cocoa apps can fall behind the dock at all. I wouldn't be surprised, apps aren't supposed to be able to do that.

5. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

I've never noticed is issue because I always have my Dock using the auto hide feature. I'm able to place my applications anywhere I want and it stays there even when it's behind the Dock once I bring it up. I know it's not the exact answer you are looking for but it's one solution if you don't mind the auto hide Dock feature.

6. Spree thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, that is one solution. I'm really not fond of the auto-hide, though. If anyone has any other suggestions/solutions, I'm all ears.