no option to partition with bootcamp :/

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nickyfsas, Jul 2, 2011.

1. nickyfsas macrumors newbie

hey there,
    So i'm wanting to install windows on my mac (more so needing than wanting sadly). When I got into the boot camp assistance the first thing required is to 'download windows support software'. I assume I dont have this so after checking the first option of 'download the windows support software for this mac' it takes forever to load then nothing happens except: "download could not continue. the window support software is not available".

so after checking the second option as I have the mac installations disks as well as the windows xp the next page refers to partitioning my mac.. which is what i've been wanting to do except upon clicking 'create or remove windows partition' option there is actually no option to partition for windows :/ it just says "Mac OS X 248GB"

After reading the installation guide for boot camp for the mac I realise I'm suppose to have an option at the right that has 'windows'....
    Except I don't and I'm not sure why this is.

Being clueless and somewhat stupid regarding computers (hence asking for help) I put the windows XP disk in and started the installation option anyways to see if the same windows came up as in the boot camp installation guide. But as I'm not 100% certain of this partition thing I just cancelled it without going past accepting the terms and conditions for windows (after getting my cd stuck as XP start up kept booting upon restart - good all 'click with the mouse to eject option' saved me)

anyways,
    if anyone can help me partition that would be great as I really would like bootcamp to work and i've never messed around with it in the past as I only got my mac last oct and only now would like to use a few windows programs.

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

It sounds like Boot Camp Assistant thinks you have already partitioned the drive. Do you see a "Go Back" and "Restore" button on the screen with the finder icon?

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Windows XP isn't supported in recent BootCamp.

4. nickyfsas thread starter macrumors newbie

hm.. the options valid at the bottom of that page that shows just my Mac OS X has a go back button and restore. what exactly would happen if I clicked restore? If my mac was already partitioned (which im sure it isn't) shouldnt there be an option to restore it back to the original state? assuming thats what restore does..except I havnt exactly partitioned it :/

5. nickyfsas thread starter macrumors newbie

windows xp professional isn't supported? :/ either way shouldn't I still be able to at least partition if i for example had a windows that is supported?
    how come xp isn't? :S

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Microsoft doesn't even support XP anymore. Why would Apple. Windows 7 is supported.

7. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

You could still probably get XP working pretty easily, I just upgraded not that long ago.

Hitting restore probably will give you a message bot giving more information, so I would click it.

I have the same "problem" as you, except I expect it. I run a hackintosh, so like every one of my 5 HDDs has at least two volumes.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you post a screen shot of what Disk Utility thinks your HDD is partitioned?

i.e. Run Disk Utility, select the drive, and then the "Partititon" tab. Take screenshot and post.

B

9. tums macrumors member

After switching to parallels recently I don't ever waste my time with bootcamp any more. If you have enough RAM and Cores on your CPU I would look into spending 50 bucks on a copy of parallels.

cwl

10. marikavs macrumors member

BootCamp Version?

Which version of BootCamp is it that doesn't support XP? Or, put another way, which is the latest version of BootCamp/Assistant that supports XP?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting ready to restore from backup after my internal drive died. The new drive isn't here yet, but I'm guessing I'll be restoring to unpartitioned (i.e. 1 partition) and then use the BootCamp assistant for a partition on which to restore Windows XP Pro from a WinClone.

Will I be having problems? My BC Assistant version is 3.0.4.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's not the Boot Camp version per se, it's the hardware on which you deploy it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1846

B

12. marikavs macrumors member

BootCamp and XP

Thank you balamw! That's a relief. I was worried as I tend to always update when a new version comes out. But I have an original MacBook.