Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

multispoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Ireland
On Thursday the 21st of Nov received a text from Vodafone Ireland that WiFi Calling was now available.

At the moment if I forget my iPhone I can able to text (iMessage) or FaceTime my OH on her iPhone from the WiFi in work - this has been great.
It would be even better if I was able to contact other's on their cellular connection without the iPhone.

Checking as to what I needed to doing to get working have
logged into my iCloud and Facebook account and all seems to be in order.

On settings in Mobile Data I have switched on WiFi calling and in the option 'Allow Calls on other devices' set to ON.

The issue is in the Watch app under 'my Watch' there is no option to turn on Wifi Calling so that it works on the AW.

I have the most up-to-sate OS on both the iPhone(IOS 13.1.2 ) & on the AW - it is the newer OS6.

Have also unpaired and then re-poured. Again to no avail.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
On Thursday the 21st of Nov received a text from Vodafone Ireland that WiFi Calling was now available.

At the moment if I forget my iPhone I can able to text (iMessage) or FaceTime my OH on her iPhone from the WiFi in work - this has been great.
It would be even better if I was able to contact other's on their cellular connection without the iPhone.

Checking as to what I needed to doing to get working have
logged into my iCloud and Facebook account and all seems to be in order.

On settings in Mobile Data I have switched on WiFi calling and in the option 'Allow Calls on other devices' set to ON.

The issue is in the Watch app under 'my Watch' there is no option to turn on Wifi Calling so that it works on the AW.

I have the most up-to-sate OS on both the iPhone(IOS 13.1.2 ) & on the AW - it is the newer OS6.

Have also unpaired and then re-poured. Again to no avail.
Its automatic on the watch, there is no toggle. Only macOS and iOS devices have toggles.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks for the reply.
I wasn't clear on my original post. I was looking for the toggle option on the Watch app on the iPhone.

https://www.imore.com/how-use-wi-fi-calling-apple-watch

4. Tap Phone.
5. Turn on Wi-Fi Calling.

I was using the instructions on the url above.

On the Watch app on the iPhone I don't have the same screen where I get the toggle option.

I don’t have this option in my Watch app with Verizon but there is another setting in the phone settings app.
Cellular>WiFi Calling>Add WiFi Calling For Other Devices

BBCD9D3C-E26C-46AA-9939-30AA189204C6.jpeg
E1BA6BC2-FC6A-4E3F-AC60-9A4E14FEC1E5.jpeg

Reactions: multispoke

multispoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Ireland
Many thanks Itinj24 for posting those screen shots.
On the last screen shot I have turned on the 'Wifi calling on This Phone'

but I did not have the other options you have.

Vodafone do not offer wi-fi while roaming
There is no option to Update Emergency Address

Don't have the last one 'Add Wif-Fi Calling on Other Devices' - this is the key one.

I did contact Vodafone and they have activated Wifi calling on my contract last week.

On an earlier setting 'Calls on Other Devices' under phone in settings - that is turned on.

Are you able to make and received cellular calls on your watch where you have wifi where you're phone has been left at home ?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Many thanks Itinj24 for posting those screen shots.
On the last screen shot I have turned on the 'Wifi calling on This Phone'

but I did not have the other options you have.

Vodafone do not offer wi-fi while roaming
There is no option to Update Emergency Address

Don't have the last one 'Add Wif-Fi Calling on Other Devices' - this is the key one.

I did contact Vodafone and they have activated Wifi calling on my contract last week.

On an earlier setting 'Calls on Other Devices' under phone in settings - that is turned on.

Are you able to make and received cellular calls on your watch where you have wifi where you're phone has been left at home ?
Sorry I haven’t tried this and I don’t purposely leave my phone at home but I’ll try to test it for you when I get a chance. My watch is also activated on cellular so I’m not sure if that will make a difference. Have you tried tried yet since you’ve been upgraded to WiFi calling?

multispoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Ireland
I've attached my settings so you can see the difference between both setups.
My AW is the Series 3 standard i.e. the GPS model. There is no LTE on offer here with any of the networks.

Tried first the simple test :)

1. Turned the iPhone off.
2. Using the watch, dialled my wife's number and got the option of FaceTime Audio or her cellular number.
3. FaceTime worked fine but the cellular call failed.

Next test involved leaving the phone on but out of reach of the wifi of the building (outside in the car). Not the same as leaving it at home where it has Wifi but should be the similar.

Same thing happened - cellular call failed.

Maybe it's not possible for a AW GPS model to use Cellular without an iPhone.

Somehow I was let to believe that I could dial a cellular number on a AW GPS without an iPhone providing that it had been there previously & was configured for wifi calling.

Attachments

• IMG_9908.jpg
    IMG_9908.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_9909.jpg
    IMG_9909.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_9910.jpg
    IMG_9910.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_2824.jpg
    IMG_2824.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 220

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

It's nothing to do with that setting - it's about your carrier supporting "Wi-Fi Calling on supported iCloud-connected devices" rather than just "Wi-Fi Calling". That enables the other options the other guy has. Verizon in the US supports it. Vodafone in Ireland does not.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204040#europe

Reactions: multispoke

multispoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Ireland
Hi Nicho.
Many thanks for that information - this explains the different setup that Itinj24 has.

Checking your link - the only Supplier in Europe that offers Wifi on Supporterd iCloud connected devices appears to be EE in the UK.

Others who offer the eSim only have the basic Wifi calling.

A forum like this is quite brilliant - it great to get such accurate information so promptly.
Thank you.

Reactions: nicho
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.