no options for downloading email for offline reading

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by chombiekay, Oct 10, 2016.

1. chombiekay macrumors member

hi. i searched the heck out of this all day and can't seem to find an actual answer.

i use gmail and all i want to do is have email for offline support so i can read them when i'm underground or on an airplane. it doesn't matter if i use the gmail app or mail native app but can't figure how to store emails offline.

i tried setting up an exchange gmail account on my iPhone but i don't exchange works anymore for free gmail accounts.

any tips?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Have you searched Google or similar for "ios offline email"? You might just find a third party app. Gonna take up some storage, I would assume.

3. chombiekay thread starter macrumors member

hi! thanks for the reply. i saw that app (the one for 2.99 right?). i was interested in it but would be a last resort. was just stumped that there was no built in feature for offline email.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

I have a Gmail set up as a regular Gmail account (basically IMAP) in the iOS Mail app. I just enabled airplane mode and went through a dozen or so emails from the last couple of weeks and they all loaded just fine, meaning the content was already downloaded and stored on my phone. Now that might potentially not apply to some remote images or perhaps attachments, but in general it seems like it's already doing this. (Not quite sure how far back that goes.)

5. zaxven macrumors member

MS Outlook (Formerly, Acompli)
    AirMail
    Spark
    Mail Pilot
    Also, stock mail app.

Exchange works perfect in Outlook.