Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm sorry but do those that are kvetching have ANY idea of what's involved in developing just basic software let alone an OS? Yes, the iPad is based on iOS but it is ultimately its own environment with its own hardware, its own problems and most importantly requires its own optimisations. Every built in app is different in some way shape or form to its iPhone / iPod Touch equivalent and that means EVERYTHING has to be tested as if it were a brand new product. Add on to that the need to get real world feedback on a new class of device for the company and incorporate that feedback into the development program and Apple's doing pretty damn well to get iOS 4 out for the iPad at all let alone so quickly and on target. Anyone who was seriously expecting it to be launched today was optimistic to the point of naivety.

Honestly, I knew as soon as Jobs said November that there'd be people bitching about it (despite this being within their initial timeframe) but frankly I'm quite happy with it. 4.1 comes out next week and is clearly a feature release. 4.2 will be the bug fix release (along with a few relatively minor features) and by waiting until 4.2 to unify the codebase we should receive a pretty stable release. Yes, I use an iPhone 4 daily so am used to multitasking and while it will be nice to have those features on my iPad it's hardly a deal breaker (if they were then you shouldn't have bought the damn thing until they were in place).

Add on to that the addition of wireless printing (a feature that's new to the iOS platform as a whole and something that's notoriously tricky to get right) and whatever minor tweaks the iPad will get as a result of six months of real world feedback and I'm more than happy to wait until November. It doesn't affect my daily use of the iPad in any way, it still works just as well as it did when I got it back in May and it's still by far and away the most enjoyable computing experience I have day in, day out.

+1. Its amazing how naive people are and think you can whip up flawless code out of thin air in 5 minutes. Programming is a ton of work and planning, but unless you've programmed, no one realizes that. And if anyone says "Apple had months!" Then they too fall into the naive people category.

An OS is even more work and requires some serious advanced knowledge of computer science. I applaud Apple for getting it out as quickly as they did.

To create, TEST (this is a big one) and fix bugs all in a few months time frame? Wow. Thats a lot of work and dedication from the people working on that project.

wrxdrunkie

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
+1. Its amazing how naive people are and think you can whip up flawless code out of thin air in 5 minutes. Programming is a ton of work and planning, but unless you've programmed, no one realizes that. And if anyone says "Apple had months!" Then they too fall into the naive people category.

An OS is even more work and requires some serious advanced knowledge of computer science. I applaud Apple for getting it out as quickly as they did.

To create, TEST (this is a big one) and fix bugs all in a few months time frame? Wow. Thats a lot of work and dedication from the people working on that project.

Well apple probably intended on ios 4 being released sooner than November. But my guess is the iPhone 4 issues at launch such as antenna issues, proximity sensor and 3G slowdown delayed the release of the iPad software upgrade.

XJ13sd

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Lol...VW for the whole family...even your wife ( husband right) VW's are on the same level as a white iPhone. Also VW eat oil like no other (except a Cadillac). Not sure owning a bunch of V dubs is something to brag about. Also nosapm or whatever, say what you will, English is not your language, was irritated just reading that guys posts, he was an idiot.

OP. Please return the iPad so people like you don't make the rest of us look like fools..thank you. Oh, and my ipad is jailbroken so I won't upgrade until the JB comes out. I love my iPad and loved buying it on launch day, one of the best devices yet, those who think it's crippled, you knew what it did and didn't do when you bought it, so basically your post is telling the world you are a clueless moron.

Sent from my awesome iPad.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Arrived at my doorstep 1 week ago. It's a fun gadget (I wouldn't call it a computer), but this is unacceptable. A second-rate OS until November???

Eating my 10% restocking fee and getting my $$$ back.

Sorry Apple, maybe next revolution.

What happened to the one you had almost two months ago? Did you get rid of it?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Arrived at my doorstep 1 week ago. It's a fun gadget (I wouldn't call it a computer), but this is unacceptable. A second-rate OS until November???

Eating my 10% restocking fee and getting my $$$ back.

Sorry Apple, maybe next revolution.

So you're going to pay to send it back and get a refund, so that in 2 months you can buy it AGAIN in 2 months..... For an update?

Makes perfect sense

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
First post...

It seems obvious to me.

nov: 4.2 comes out
jan: ipad10 and ipad7 announced
april: 7 and 10 released, running ios 4.2
summer/fall 11: ios5 announced
in time for christmas '11: ios 5 available for all supported idevices, giving new ipad another christmas bump, just like this year with 4.2.

maybe it will be 4.5 or something instead of 5.0. I am still new to the Apple thing, and havent been following the history too closely the last couple years.

ps hi everyone.

victor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.