No OS no CDs - Help!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by outkaste25, Aug 31, 2007.

1. outkaste25 macrumors member

I recently purchased a used powermac g4 from a local computer tech school that went out of business. I've never owned a mac before but was interested in learning about them. The powermac came with the cpu, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. No CDs or "extras" When i turn on the mac all i get is a gray screen with a flashing question mark/mac face. Now to my question...if I buy the OS X Tiger from the apple store....will it install and is that all i need? or is there an OS on my mac and i just don't know it? Somebody PLEASE reply.....I'm at my wits end....Thanks

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here is a support article on the issue. Chances are you're going to need an install disc. You can either contact Apple and see if they'll send you the restore discs for that model for a nominal fee (though it'll come with an earlier OS version) or you can spend a few more bucks and get Tiger.

3. outkaste25 thread starter macrumors member

I've read that bulletin which does not seem to help as I have no CDs or install disks. What I'm asking is that if I buy Tiger, do I need anything else and will it install? I am coming from a Windows background where you have update CDs to upgrade.....for a Mac is it all on the Tiger cd or would i need the OS 9 cd AND the Tiger CD? <sorry if i'm repeating myself i am VERY new to it all>

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

No, when you buy Mac OS X it's always the full version, so you shouldn't need anything else (unless it required a firmware update or something, I dunno).

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Just make sure you mac has a dvd drive installed in there. As tiger comes in CD or DVD

6. outkaste25 thread starter macrumors member

there is a cd drive....does it have to be DVD? how would i check that?

7. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Can you provide us with the serial number?

Thanks.

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

No it doesn't. So what you need to buy is tiger on CD not DVD since you only have a CD drive. If you have another mac you can use target mode but from what I read this is your first mac

9. outkaste25 thread starter macrumors member

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

$30 for an IDE DVD burner. If you could figure out which model it was it'd be easier to help.

The Power Mac G4 is very easy to work with.

Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 2002

It already has the proper firmware to run OS X. You can watch optical drive installation videos here.

11. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Unless its been upgraded, it only has a CDRW, no DVD reader.

You could buy a third party DVD-reader, most pioneer drives work, PC drives will work. But burning with require patchburn.

Otherwise I think you may be able to purchase a CD version of Tiger, but would need someone else here to verify that.

Thanks.

12. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Its a PowerMac G4 QuickSilver 2002 800MHz 256 40GB Radeon7500 CDRW made in week 21 2002.

13. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

To me, the best approach would be buying an internal DVD drive to drop in and then getting the OS on DVD. While a little more effort than just getting the OS on CD, it has the added benefit of leaving the OP with a DVD drive when all is finished. If the OP digs the Mac and continues using it, at DVD is almost a necessity these days.

14. outkaste25 thread starter macrumors member

so how do i go about getting the CD version of Tiger...all i see in the apple store is DVD?

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I suggest getting installing a DVD drive.

16. alexprice macrumors 6502a

I would recommend buying a drive too. There soo cheap these days. Plus the machines still pretty kick ass IMO. So its worth it.

17. outkaste25 thread starter macrumors member

:confused: ok so as not to sound completely loony...how would i go about installing one? i've never messed with any computer hardware be it pc or mac. I also am not close to an apple store so would some place like circuit city have what i need?

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I linked you to installation videos earlier.

NewEgg sells perfectly good drives as well.

19. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Turn off the machine and open the side door.

The CD caddy is held in by two screws, one at the front of the case and one near the top.

Remove these screws and disconnect all cables, the CD caddy can then be removed.

Remove the original CD drive, and check the replacement's jumpers are set to master, then fit it in place of the original.

Connect data and power cables and secure caddy with the two screws.

Close up the machine.

20. outkaste25 thread starter macrumors member

:( ok so please understand that i'm new to all of this. When i look at circuit city online all they say is dvd-rw drives compatible with windows. will these work for a mac as well?

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I suggested the Pioneer DVR-112D off of NewEgg. It is possible to purchase from retail stores.