No OS on PowerMac G5 after problem during reinstall...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ChipMc, Mar 10, 2009.

1. ChipMc macrumors newbie

I was having some issues with freezing up and getting odd kernel messages on my Power Mac G5. I read on some mac forums to try re-installing the OS to correct any corrupt files. SO....I put in the disc and it told me it was going to move the current OS into a Previous Systems folder and that it couldn't be used to start up the computer. I thought that was fine since it seemed to be corrupted and I was installing the original version anyway. Well, in the middle of the re-installation process...it stopped, said something was wrong with the disc and I needed to restart. WELL....now it won't restart because there is no OS to restart with. The old OS version is in a previous systems folder and the original was never fully installed. If I put in my Leopard upgrade DVD, it won't install 10.5 because it can't see my previous 10.4 version. If I don't put any disc in, all I get is a little folder with a blinking question mark. Anybody know a way to get the version that is in a Previous Systems folder back so at least it can start up?!?!?!

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

EDIT: I may have misread your post when I posted the response below.:( Were you installing from the System Restore Disk 1 when the failure happened? If so, you should be able to start up again directly from that by restarting and holding down the C key to boot directly from the DVD or reboot and hold the Option key down (with the DVD inserted) to get to a screen that will allow you to pick it and boot from it. You don't need an installed system to start from an installer DVD.

Well since you have a Leopard upgrade disk, the original System Restore disks that came with the computer must have had Tiger on them (as my PowerMac G5 did), so you have two choices. You can install 10.4 with the System Restore disks and then upgrade with the Leopard disk OR purchase a full retail Leopard disk and just install from that. Since the previous installation was hosed (as indicated by the flashing question mark), that is all the options I can imagine.

Did you proceed with the upgrade with no backup? If you have one at least you can restore from that to simplify things.

3. ChipMc thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm stuck....

I was actually trying to re-install the upgrade DVD to Leopard when this happened. When I put that disc in, it says it can't install 10.5 because it can't find 10.4. When I put in the original software DVD, Tiger, it says Apple Hardware Test not supported on this machine. Now What?!?!?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

The Leopard problem makes sense since it is not a full retail disk, but the Tiger does not. In order to run the hardware test in the first place one needs to press and hold the "D" key at startup so don't know why it is even considering the hardware test....:confused:

What are the specific results when you press and hold the "C" key at startup with Disk 1 in the drive (or pressing and holding the Option key as described above)?

EDIT: Also, is the Software Restore disk that you are trying to use the one that shipped with that machine or is it from another machine (which usually won't work)?