No OSX install DVD's with new MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JSpence, Jun 18, 2012.

1. JSpence macrumors regular

JSpence

I just bought a Macbook Pro 13" today (2.5Ghz) but it doesn't include the application/OSX install DVD's like it normally does.

I am going to install an SSD in the optical bay tomorrow, but how can I get the OS onto a flash drive to install to the SSD if I don't have the OSX DVD?

Help?

Thanks!

Also, does anyone know how exactly we'll get Mountain Lion for free once it's released?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

On these new fancy laptops, even on a clean hard drive it is all done via firmware and an internet connection. I would still fire it up once and register the included iLife applications against your AppleID before starting new.

3. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

You'll need to go to the following link and install the recovery assistant on a USB flash or hard drive.

The recovery will ask where you want to install it. It will format the drive and install it for you. Really simple.

Word of caution, you have to download and install the recovery assistant from the computer you will use it on. In other words, you can't use this for multiple computers.

When you're ready to use it, just plug it (USB) in and turn the power on while holding down the option key. This will bring up the recovery drive. Select it and go to town.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It looks like they made a solution for older notebooks without the firmware based internet install of Lion. Thanks for the information.

5. JSpence thread starter macrumors regular

JSpence

Thank you both.