No Outlook push mail, with software 2.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kjodder, May 25, 2008.

1. kjodder macrumors newbie

Hey... i have just installed 2.0 software on my iphone, and most things are running smooth.

I have it connected to my exchange server, and it syncs contact, calender without problems.

But its not syncing mail, i can manually make it sync, but not via push.

I cant make any settings regardings mail sync.

In this linc there should be a settings for fetch mail:

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/05/0...one-os-20-getting-mac-push-email-support.html

But its not in the version i have installed, which is named 5A240D.

Anyone having push mail to work ?

Best regards

// Kim

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

That version is at least 3 versions back from the latest beta release.

4. kjodder thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, well, any chance to get a newer version anywhere ?

Actually its prettty funky that the Iphone is talking to the exchange server :D

// Kim

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Yes, wait for the final version coming next month, probably at WWDC in 14 days.

6. calvy macrumors 65816

I see a 5a258f on the newsgroups. Haven't tried it to see how it looks though.

Does your exchange server have to be internet accessible for the iphone to sync with it? Or how does that work? I'd freaking die to my iPhone to sync with my Outlook calendar wirelessly via EDGE or 3G or anything.

7. seenett macrumors regular

"Push" means push - doesn't matter what version of the software you have, unless the mail server is pushing, you ain't getting squat. Anyway, Outlook can't push. It is not a server - just a Windows program.

8. kjodder thread starter macrumors newbie

Well well.... i sure you did know what i mean.

My exchange is pushing mails to Active sync phones.

The software i have installed on my phone, is not receiving mails from my server.

// Kim

9. neven macrumors 6502a

Just to clarify the terminology -

Outlook is Microsoft's email and collaboration program which can connect to Exchange.

Exchange is Microsoft's collaboration server which can push email to clients which support it.

You can have Exchange pushing to non-Outlook clients, and you can have Outlook being pushed to from non-Exchange servers.

ActiveSync is Microsoft's syncing technology which allows, among other things, for mobile device to sync with servers such as Exchange.

Push email is already supported in iPhone's Mail client; you can receive push email from Yahoo. Apple promised ActiveSync in iPhone 2.0 software, presumably enabling push email for accounts using an Exchange server.

10. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

That's 2 versions back from the current. Current version available to enterprise beta customers is 5A292g.

It works just like anything else. If you want POP3 access to Exchange from outside of your local intranet then you need to set up your firewalls and routing to allow POP3 ports to the outside. In the case with the iPhone and Exchange, ActiveSync protocols need to be accessible to the Internet from your Exchange server if you want access outside of your local intranet.

11. ryangrumet macrumors newbie

Help

Has any one had a problem with the iPhone dowloading your email and then it not downloading in outlook? I have looked and there are no settings on the phone to leave a copy on the server like in outlook. This only happens with some mesages, some i get on the phone and outlook, some I dont. Any Ideas?

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

You neglect to mention which iPhone software version you're running and whether you're using POP3, IMAP, or Exchange... All of that info is necessary for us to be able to help you.