No Output via HDMI

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ourcore, Oct 12, 2014.

1. ourcore macrumors regular

ourcore

Hey, guys,

I have a 13" late 2011 MBP running Mavericks and I just bought a generic Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable from eBay that doesn't seem to be working. I've connected it to three LCD TVs and even though the MacBook detects the display (the resolution automatically adjusts accordingly and I can see "LG TV" or "SONY TV" in the display preferences), the TVs don't pick up the signal. There's not much else I can configure, so I'm wondering, is it just a crappy cable? Also, I've heard mixed results on audio — I noticed that my MacBook's audio also switched to a different output.

Thanks in advance!

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

What resolution is the computer outputting? How old are the tv's? Have you tried forcing a lower resolution to say 720p? What could be happening is HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) is getting in the way. If the resolution is automatically detecting 1080p from the tv but there is no HDCP handshake happening the computer will detect it but send black to the display. Just a thought.

3. ourcore thread starter macrumors regular

ourcore

Two TVs output in 1080p (no older than one/two years) and the other 720p (1360x768), which the MacBook detected and adjusted to each time. I tried 480p, but still nothing. I've also toggled between mirroring and extending the display

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Sounds like a crappy adapter/cable. I don't have the same issue using a monoprice adapter, but then my TVs are 5+ years old.