No partition option given in Disk Utility!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by frostygirl, Mar 8, 2011.

1. frostygirl macrumors newbie

I bought a used macbook and I wasn't given the proper OS disk to go with it. So I am trying to format a boot-up disk from my usb flash drive. However I am not able to select partition because it does not give me the option! See attached screen capture.

What are my options?[​IMG]

Thanks so much, I am not new to macs, but have never had such a hair tearing out experience with them either!

Lora

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To partition, click on the "232.9 GB Hitachi..." or the 152.7 GB LaCie..." or the "465.8 GB OEM". Then the partition option will appear. You have to select the physical drive, not the logical drive, to partition.

3. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

In addition to what GGJstudios said, the idea is that you select the icon representing the physical drive to break it up into partitions. In your screenshot you already have a partition selected. Can't partition a partition.

4. frostygirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Thankfully it was something simple :eek:

5. Malene Espensen macrumors newbie

GGJstudios is right !!!
    i was also facing the same problem and just left that part but now me too got clarified with the answer..Thanks GGJstudios... and also can we create a partition of any partition having freespce i think it can be please assist...