no password - can I wipe the drive clean and start again

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by what a goone, Apr 12, 2009.

1. what a goone macrumors newbie

Hi,

I bought a iMac P4 and the person gave me their profile password - only it doesn't work so I can't change anything or set up my own profile.

Is there a way I can wipe the hard drive and start afresh? I have the three OS X 10.2 discs.

Thanks

2. zhell macrumors newbie

You do not need to wipe it. Put in the "Install DVD" and restart. Right after the chime, press and hold the "C" key until you see the grey apple (I think it was already grey with 10.2...not sure)... or longer. Just keep it pressed. Then, after you have heard the DVD crunching for at least a minute, you may release. It will take a few minutes to boot up the Install DVD.

Now, first you need to select your language. Right after, before installing anything, open up the menu at the top that is called "Utilities". There should be an entry called "Reset Password".

Then, you're on your own, I've never had to use that.

Note, however, that it might be a good idea to obtain a 10.3 DVD and install a fresh system, unless you are pretty sure that the original owner has taken excellent care of their mac and you wish to stay with 10.2. I would not recommend 10.5 for speed reasons. 10.4 might be ok, I'm not sure.

Good luck!

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

4. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I must say I am astounded by the number of people who buy a computer to find the password doesn't work.

May hell show no mercy on the person who stole two of my macs last year, or on any-one who knowing bought stolen goods.

5. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

That's the first thing I thought too, hmm a stolen Mac? :mad:

6. what a goone thread starter macrumors newbie

not stolen

I knew it would look that way, but I can assure you it is not stolen.