No patience - i7 iMac or MBP

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jmuchrisf, Nov 9, 2009.

  1. jmuchrisf macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2007
    #1
    I have 0 patience, and i REALLY need my new development machine.
    Do I stick it out for my 27" i7? or do I cancel and order a Macbook pro.

    ugh
     
  2. avihappy macrumors 6502

    avihappy

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2006
    #2
    I'm 100% sure that waiting for the i7 will have wayyy faster compile times!
     
  3. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #3
    Do you need the power of iMac or the portability of MBP? I would stick with iMac if you don't need portability
     
  4. jmuchrisf thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2007
    #4
    I currently use a cheapy HP laptop for mobile (meaning on the road, not mobile devices) development. It's actually used 70% of my free lance developing time. I have a workstation at home for when I need to run virtual machines and heavier development there.

    I'd feel guilty/paranoid about being mobile with a $2,500 laptop. I figured the iMac would be better for me..
    and I think I'll just wait. I hate waiting
     
  5. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #5
    Waiting is important skill in life. If everything happens when you want so, life would miss its salt because anything would feel nothing. :cool: Just my philosophy of today :p
     
  6. jmuchrisf thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2007
    #6
    Oh I can wait. No doubt.. but I need to get the machine this year for tax purposes. When I read things that (may be wrongly) saying the shipping date MAY be mid-late December, I'm getting nervous.
     
  7. avihappy macrumors 6502

    avihappy

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2006
    #7
    Mid-December still qualifies as "this year". I think if you're in the US, you should get it sometime this month. It's the Europeans who may get screwed over and end up getting it December.
     
  8. lasuther macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    #8
    i5s started shipping today. Cancel the i7 and pick up an i5 from your local Apple store or buy it online.
     
  9. psingh01 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    #9
    Just wait. The i7 iMac will blow any MBP out of the water. You'll get yours before christmas with plenty of time to claim it for this years taxes. If you get the MBP you'll be happy for a few weeks then get pissed when everyone starts getting their i7s.

    If it was between an i7 or a Mac Pro...then that would be a tougher decision.
     
  10. SXR macrumors 6502a

    SXR

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #10

    Haha, thats true. but i hate waiting aswel, im in the market for a MacBook or , the one I like better, MacBook Pro...

    I could buy it now but it would be smarter to wait just a couple of months...
     
  11. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #11
    The i7's will ship this month, so don't worry about that.

    This is a question of performance versus portability. Is the 2.5x performance from the iMac going to help you or is being mobile better? If you only have one machine, I am a big fan of going with a laptop (specifically a Macbook Pro).
     
  12. jmuchrisf thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2007
    #12
    i'm waiting for the iMac... definitely going to be better to have... it's going to be a freaking beast , for sure.. can't wait to see it in person.. even if i DO infect it with windows 7 (actually I'm a big fan of Windows ... it obviously has it's huge issues, but hey... look at what it is...)

    my remote is now prepared for shipment... imac is still 'not yet shipped'.. hmmm... if I keep getting consulting work next year, I think I'll just have to get a MBP next year ;)
     
  13. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    #13
    Let's try the "If I lived on a desert Island" scenario...

    If you could have just ONE or the OTHER....

    A laptop is usually always the best choice. It's portable
    so you can take it anywhere. It also generally does all
    the things a desktop can do outside of intense graphic
    and resource-hogging activities.

    I mean, really, you would be surprised just how much
    multitasking work you can successfully do on a Macbook
    Pro with 4MB Ram. They are very powerful laptops.

    However, if you are looking for the most powerful
    means of computing, then no doubt, the iMac is for
    you.

    If I was only allowed ONE it would be the Macbook Pro
    just for sheer portability.
     
  14. 53x12 macrumors 68000

    53x12

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2009
    #14
    I agree. If you get the iMac I might also recommend getting a cheap netbook or save up for a used MacBook/MBP if you need the mobility. Then you have the best of both worlds.
     
  15. JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2006
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #15
    If you hadn't needed to pull the trigger for tax reasons (same here), I'd say to wait for the Nehalem MBP next year, but if you need it now, go iMac. Use something cheap for the road - the increased screen size and speed when you're at home will more than make up for not having the the Mac on the road, and you can always buy yourself a low end MacBook if you later feel you need a Mac for trips too.

    Of course, this equation could change if you spend a large proportion of your time on the road, and you didn't say that. (I don't anymore, so this tilted it for me.)
     
  16. jmuchrisf thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2007
    #16
    i don't do much work on the road, so a true mobile work station isn't necessary... I do some mobile work, so my HP 14" from last year works fine enough for that..
     
  17. SXR macrumors 6502a

    SXR

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #17
    I'd say go for the iMac aswell. I changed my mind about ordering an MBP, instead im going for the iMac.

    Gotta have that power and screen realestate.
     
  18. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2008
  19. SXR macrumors 6502a

    SXR

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #19
    besides, you need a production/developement machine, I think a 27 inch iMac would suit you faaar better.
     

Share This Page