Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Has anyone noticed a slow down or pauses in the use of their iPhone 6? Typically in the second year of ownership the iPhone begins to show its age with slow downs and pauses.

I have to say I haven't noticed this so far. My iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are moving along just fine. Its making me question rather or not I should upgrade my wife and I to the iPhone 7 this September.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Has anyone noticed a slow down or pauses in the use of their iPhone 6? Typically in the second year of ownership the iPhone begins to show its age with slow downs and pauses.

I have to say I haven't noticed this so far. My iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are moving along just fine. Its making me question rather or not I should upgrade my wife and I to the iPhone 7 this September.
Same, I use an iPhone 6 and the thing is still fast.

Reactions: JerTheGeek and ARK

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
You already answered your own question. If there's no problem with yet then you can make up your own mind whether you want a new one or not, not ours .

The question was has anyone else noticed slow downs or pauses in their iPhone 6. I don't see how I answered that question with what I have noticed on my phones.

vp719

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
I just came here to post the exact opposite. My 64GB iPhone 6, preordered on launch day 2014 was running perfect until about three weeks ago. Since then it is essentially a brick. I keep it up to date, in a case, no water damage, no heat exposure, only ~70% of the storage is used, etc. Since mid-July I can't hold a charge for more than half a day, most apps freeze, sometimes I can't place calls ("call failed" repeatedly), etc. I've had to hard-reset it every few days. Very, very frustrating. I was hoping to hold off on the iPhone 7 but if this keeps up I'm going to have to upgrade.

Reactions: ARK

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
My 6 slowed down noticeably after a year. 128gb with plenty of free space. There's sometimes a several second lag that didn't exist before.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Typically in the second year of ownership the iPhone begins to show its age with slow downs and pauses.
DAMN!!!

I missed that when it happened with my iPhone 5 in September 2014! Guess I was too busy using my phone to notice!!!

Maybe I'll notice in about a month when my iPhone 5 turns four!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

Please provide links that support your assertion that iPhones show their age after 1 year.

Phones don't just slow down after a year of use.

And if anything, 'slowdowns' is usually heard from the android camp...and I'm skeptical of that, too.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Please provide links that support your assertion that iPhones show their age after 1 year.

Phones don't just slow down after a year of use.

And if anything, 'slowdowns' is usually heard from the android camp...and I'm skeptical of that, too.

I don't have any links. Instead I will clarify my statement. Typically every iPhone Ive had since the 3G has begun to slowdown and pause incrementally during the second year of ownership after the new OS release has had a few updates.

And technically I could give you the URL for this thread since there are a few above and below who have experienced it. lol

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
No problems with my 6. As far as I can tell, it performs the same as the day I took it out of the box.

Different users have different experiences. Some people insist that their phone feels sluggish after a year, others use their phones for 3 or 4 years without issue.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
My 6+ is working very well at the moment, so much so that I'm on the fence about upgrading. This phone currently does everything I need it to do, but it's always fun to get a new gadget. I guess it depends on what happens in the next month or two. I may even switch back to Android and give it another go.

*edit* I'll also note that I haven't had any major issues between iOS 8.x, 9.x and even the beta versions of 10. It's a damn solid phone.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
My 6+ is working very well at the moment, so much so that I'm on the fence about upgrading. This phone currently does everything I need it to do, but it's always fun to get a new gadget. I guess it depends on what happens in the next month or two. I may even switch back to Android and give it another go.

*edit* I'll also note that I haven't had any major issues between iOS 8.x, 9.x and even the beta versions of 10. It's a damn solid phone.

Some people here insist that the fact that the 6+ only has 1 GB of RAM makes it unusable compared to the 6, presumably because of the higher demands of the larger screen? But no one I know with a 6+ in real life has ever complained about how it functions. I guess it all depends on your expectations and how you use your phone.

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Some people here insist that the fact that the 6+ only has 1 GB of RAM makes it unusable compared to the 6, presumably because of the higher demands of the larger screen? But no one I know with a 6+ in real life has ever complained about how it functions. I guess it all depends on your expectations and how you use your phone.
There are just a few more apps and safari tabs reloading, I think it didn't really destroy the user experience.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
I owned a 6+ for a little bit. It was quick enough at doing tasks, I really disliked it because of the constant reloads of apps or web pages. The 6 was a little better, but in my eyes they weren't worth their asking price. For my use case the reloading of websites was eating through my mobile data, and the overall constant reloading was eating through battery quicker than others were reporting. The 6+ was a fairly new device and had been set up as new. I know it was the reloads that caused this as the drain was only while I used my phone and not on standby. I just like to switch between too many apps/pages at once I guess. However, in comes the 6s and it's performance is noticeably better; probably will be next year too. This phone has been so much nicer to use than the 6 and 6+.

anon.guy

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2016

I noticed some slowdowns, I picked my brother's iphone 6 and, to me, it seems slower but also smooth. The animations are all fine with "eye candy" fps but apps open slower, the keyboard pops up slower, everything is slow and apps reload all the time. You might consider an update to the 6s or maybe wait for the 7s, I mean, that s what I would do.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Typically in the second year of ownership the iPhone begins to show its age with slow downs and pauses.

That's only because people don't do a clean install of a new iOS version and simply upgrade. I can't believe people still haven't figured this out. When a new major iOS version drops, always, always, ALWAYS do a clean install.

If anyone doesn't believe me, then get your old iPhone and do a clean install via iTunes and see for yourself.

Reactions: max2

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
That's only because people don't do a clean install of a new iOS version and simply upgrade. I can't believe people still haven't figured this out. When a new major iOS version drops, always, always, ALWAYS do a clean install.

If anyone doesn't believe me, then get your old iPhone and do a clean install via iTunes and see for yourself.
I've been dealing with an awfully slow iPad Air and iPhone 6 going to have to try this

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Those of you who have noticed a slowdown: Did you upgrade to iOS 9?

DON'T EVER DO THAT. EVER EVER EVER.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.