No Permission to Access a File

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mm884, Jan 26, 2013.

1. mm884 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, I am new to this forum, but have been reading for a long time and it seems like there is a lot of knowledge on here, so hopefully you guys can help me out. I have a mac pro with snow leopard on it, and the other day the hard drive crashed. I have a lot of important data on that drive, so I bought a new hard drive, re formated, and installed leopard. I inserted the crashed drive to try and access files, but under the user file, I am getting a red minus sign which isn't allowing me permission to get into the file where all of my documents and what not are. I have searched quite a bit to try and figure it out, but I cant find the answer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

Try showing info on the hard disk you want to get the files from, then under "sharing and permissions" you should see a box that reads "Ignore ownership" or something. Check that box and you should have access to your files. At least i THINK you should have. :p

3. mm884 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that in just a moment. I tried something similar but couldn't seem to get access. I did have filevault turned out which im wondering if that is causing the problem? I also tried to boot off the down hard drive from the snow leopard cd but didn't have much luck with that either.