No Personal Hotspot option after installing TetherMe

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by had3s, Jun 26, 2012.

1. had3s macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have installed TetherMe 2.3-9 (from Cydia, purchased-BigBoss) on my iPhone4 JB 4.3.3 and the Personal Hotspot option does not appear, neither in Settings, nor in General -> Network. I tried rebooting normally and with the Home+Power button method but nothing, the option does not appear. I also tried "Reset Network Setting" and nothing.

I looked through internet and I have found no information about this problem.

Could anyone try to help me? Is there any known solution that, preferably, does not imply a clean restore and re-jailbreaking?

Thank you very much.

P.

2. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

In Settings, go into TetherMe. Turn it on there. Personal Hotspot will appear! Voila!

3. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

It sometimes goes away for me too. You just have to go into TetherMe itself and toggle it on/off then it should be there as the 3rd option.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Try to turn it on inside settings>tetherme; if nothing then you might have an older devices that doesn't support hotspot.

5. had3s, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

had3s thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your answers.

As you advice, I go to Setting->TetherMe, and the only options I have are:
    -----------------------------------
    - Under "WiFi Options"
    -- Keep Broadcasting: ON/OFF

- Under "APN Selection"
    -- Automatic: ON/OFF
    (If I turn Automatic to OFF, then the option "useDataAPN: ON/OFF" appears.)

- Cellular Data Network
    -----------------------------------

I have not very clear what option do you mean by "activate TetherMe" from here, but I tried to turn ON/OFF all the options and nothing, no Personal Hotspot option anywhere :(( What should be the correct settings?

On the other hand, the idea of an old device without personal hotspot capabilities should be discarded, as I have previously used the Personal Hotspot option in this device with another company/carrier.

Thanks again for your help, but these advices are not solving the problem.
    I will be grateful for any other ideas.

Cheers,
    P.

Edit: Hi, I would like to add that I have found a video on internet showing a "Personal Hotspot" option under Settings->TetherMe, but I do not have that option, I have the "Keep broadcasting" option instead... any ideas why could this be? Thanks again.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Forgot about this tread since you didn't reply to specific posts.
    My TetherMe inside settings has the Personal Hotspot option and then the Keep broadcasting below it.
    Maybe you are using an outdated or pirated copy. My version of it is 2.3-9

7. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I would hazard to guess that our OP is using a 3GS. Which means only usb/bt tethered hotspot. No wi-fi hotspot capability. This is why he sees the Broadcast option, butnot the wifi option.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Could be, but he stated in his reply that he had used personal hotspot before on it. He could be misunderstanding what hotspot is though.

9. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Don't know??? It would be nice if the op told us what device he had.

10. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

He has already mentioned that in his first post. He uses an iPhone 4. :)

I guess it might be because newest version of tether me might not be compatible with ios 4.

And a quick question to op.. Why still on iOS 4?? When iOS 5.1.1 is jailbreakable..

11. had3s thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi all again,

Sorry for not answering before but I was on a trip with serious difficulties to connect to internet. Thank you again for your answers.

As I told before, I have previously used the Personal Hotspot option with another carrier. It worked fine. And I know well what is the personal Hotspot option.
    From your comments and the video I saw on internet, I now infer I should have the "Personal Hotspot" option before the "Keep Broadcasting" one, but it is not the case. My TetherMe menu starts directly with the "Keep Broadcasting" option.
    As I said, I am using iPhone4 on iOS 4.3.3 and TetherMe 2.3-9.

One thing I am thinking: first time I tried to install TetherMe, I did it from a non-official repository (so probably a cracked version) as I did not know it was a payable app. As I got installing errors with this one, then I realized there was a BigBoss official one, and installed it. So, I would say maybe some of the "bad files" of the cracked app are still on my system and not allowing the official one to work properly. What do you think? Also, uninstalling and reinstalling the official app does not solve the problem.

Regarding your question Enjoylife1788, I am still on 4.3.3 because I am using a Gevey-SIM card, which is not compatible with iOS5. I would discard the Gevey-SIM as a responsible of the TetherMe problem, as I have also previously successfully used the Personal Hotspot with the Gevey-SIM card.

Thank you guys again. I would like to hear your opinion about the possibility of mess between files of cracked and official app. If the uninstalling/reinstalling of the app does not solve the problem, clean-restore seems to be the only solution, right? Opinions?

Cheers,
    P.

12. Aquaduck04 macrumors member

iPhone 4S user here. I just installed TetherMe. Within the TetherMe settings, I turned on personal hotspot, but I noticed that it also turns on the hotspot in the settings->general->cellular menu. I am concerned that this will alert the carrier to my tethering...

Can someone confirm that this is normal, and I won't incur any extra tethering charges from the carrier?

Thanks!

13. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Normal.

No one can confirm this. People worry far too much about this. Unless you are downloading gigabytes of data every day, they wont notice.

14. Aquaduck04 macrumors member