No photos in the Originals file!! Help!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rmsh88, Feb 12, 2009.

1. rmsh88 macrumors newbie

I have been having problems viewing all landscape photos from the last 2 years that I have uploaded. I can view them as thumbnails on iPhoto 6 but as soon as I try full screen view, a grey box appears with an exclamation mark. I also can't upload them using the facebook app.

I went to my originals file to try and sort this out, and start a whole new library. However, I only have photos from 2006 and 2007 in there, so all my photos that I have uploaded are obviously not being automatically saved into the originals folder!!! This is a problem and I don't know why it's happened.

I have looked in the iPhoto library folder and next to the Originals folder is a "Modified" folder. I haven't amended photos, changed descriptions or done anything to modify them, either as a file format or in the iPhoto application. So I don't understand why my photos are saving to the modified folder. Worse still, when I opened up the Modified folder, all my portrait photos that I have uploaded since 2007 are in there, but none of my landscape ones are in there. So I can't get hold of them at all!!

Please could someone shed some light as to why this is happening, and also offer a solution and let me know if there's any way to retrieve my landscape photos. I am really quite ignorant about technical stuff so thought getting a mac would be great - it has never let me down until now and I don't know why this is happening! So if you can help please give me advice in simple terms as I can't understand much technical jargon.

Thank you!

2. DLH macrumors member

1) As to why your original photos are not in the originals folder, check the advanced iPhoto preference for importing (Copy items to the iPhoto Library). I'm guessing that it somehow got unchecked.

2) I'll bet that your camera tags the orientation of the photo in the EXIF data (landscape/portrait). iPhoto will make a copy of ones tagged as "portrait", rotate them and save them to the modified folder to make it quicker for it to display. It does this even if you do not modify anything.