No pick up at store option ; reasons why

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xROBERTxDAVISx, May 10, 2010.

1. xROBERTxDAVISx macrumors regular

I phoned up the local apple store and it says that they are in store not even taking in store pre orders. If you go in store they only pre order for delivery only. They say it may come at a later date and if it does I am sure they will let you change the shipping method after that (IF) becomes available. But so far they havent got plans for in store collect pre orders at this time yet according to apple.

2. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Was hoping for this option for the Canada launch but nothing on the site. Hopefully they add this later on. I would be willing to reorder if necessary.

3. Aydin macrumors member

Yeah I was hoping for a store pick-up option too, but then I realized the iPad would be delivered on launch day (Canada) to my doorstep. I can wait for it from the comfort of my home :)

4. RobS-UK macrumors member

I've just had an online chat with Apple, and they say that store stock will be limited at launch, and that the only way to guarantee getting one will be to preorder online for delivery. They also do not expect the situation to change.

5. Streethawk macrumors 6502

Hmmm, decisions decisions. I wanted to pickup from the store, but if i cant guarantee that will get me one, i'll have to pre-order for delivery. If i do that though i might not get it before i go away for the long weekend on the afternoon of the 28th May.

Both options leave me with a risk of no iPad on the 28th. You know, i fully realise this shouldnt be a huge issue to me, but it REALLY IS. I must be obsessed. :D

6. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

One thing I would say if there's no store pre-orders, demand must be ridiculous for these things at the moment. There's no way Apple would be holding back units to the point of not having in-store pickup so they're obviously expecting that every unit they've been able to make and ship between the US launch and the international one is going to go immediately. It'll be interesting to see how that demand goes once it's available but that 5 million units in the first year estimate is starting to maybe look low...

7. Streethawk macrumors 6502

Agreed, very low, i could easily see 5 million units being sold by the end of August.

8. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

A million a month? Hmmm..... not sure. It depends if demand holds up once the launches are done. I suspect they'll have a bit of a slump over the summer, start picking up again just before the schools go back, pick up again in September / October when OS 4 comes out then run to Christmas. It's a hard one to judge because, much like the iPhone, I think it's a device that's going to rely on people getting hands-on with it to build demand.

One thought that did occur... just checked the last financial report for Apple and they sold 2.2 million computers last quarter. They're going to sell more than 2 million iPads in the three month period since it launched in the US (provided they can make enough). If, IF they can continue with those sorts of figures they've effectively doubled their computer market share (yes, I count the iPad as a computer, let's not have that argument again).

9. DKatri macrumors 6502

My guess is that it minimises the crowds at launch, thus making launch days a bit easier.

10. Streethawk macrumors 6502

And my guess is that since they're charging people now they'd much rather sit on all that cash now than take it in two and a half weeks time.

11. Streethawk macrumors 6502

I still think 5m is about on the money. With the continuing US orders, first and second round of international releases, and further orders after that internationally. Easy i think, only caveat is whether they can produce enough of the things.

12. Elise macrumors 6502

I get the feeling that the iPad is not going to be as popular here as it was in the US, I think the price might be just a bit too prohibitive for some. I guess that means more iPads for the rest of us diehard fans! ;)

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I would have thought the same thing here in U.S. of the upper end models considering we are in "the worst economy since the Great Depression," but that didn't stop people from lining up to buy the nearly $1000, after tax, 64GB 3G.

14. melman101 macrumors 68030

Yea seriously. I can't believe it only took something like 27/28 days to sell a million here in the U.S. That's a lot.

15. xROBERTxDAVISx thread starter macrumors regular

I am just going to keep it as deliery then, unless the plans change to get loads in at stores in the UK. There is only 2 stores in scotland so I am hoping each would get alot in to make available to the country.

Its a friday right? No college on fridays so just a long lie and then get someone in my house to wake me up when it comes.

16. Elise macrumors 6502

Mmm perhaps, but as widely documented it is more expensive to buy here and our media have already been inaccurately reporting and scaremongering that UK people are being ripped off, a 25% price differential according to one article I read!

That will be more than enough for folks to draw a line under that.

17. DKatri macrumors 6502

They dont actually take the cash now, they put a hold on it and take the cash once it ships.