No picture-- just sound in Flash (CS3) video?!?!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by suburbia, Apr 30, 2009.

1. suburbia macrumors 6502

Hey y'all,

As the title states: No picture, but there is sound in my Flash video:

- Working with CS3 Flash
    - I converted a mp4 file (26.4MB) into a flv file (only 3 MB?) using Flash CS3 Video Encoder
    - Once imported to stage, tested movie, but all I see is the player controls and hear the audio. No picture.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the fault of the original mp4 file? Perhaps it's the flv file-- being only 3 MB?

I suspect the 3MB is the sound (soundtrack) file only, and something is preventing Flash Video Encoder from converting the video.

I tested another flv file (at 22 MB) and it worked flawlessly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(BTW, like an idiot, I posted this in the DESIGN & GRAPHIC forum, and had no responses [although it had 90 views], so hopefully posting in the ideal forum will get me somewhere.)

2. pelsar macrumors regular

have a link?

somethings to check....open the file in quicktime and export as flv (if you have the pro version)

does your flv version play in quicktime?

i assume you made an swf to play the flv...does that swf play in a browser?

3. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

you can also use VLC player to see if your FLV files are properly encoded... it does sound like an encoding problem

4. suburbia thread starter macrumors 6502

- Opened in Quicktime Pro
    - Exported as flv file in Quicktime (Flash Encoder via Quicktime).
    - Cannot (do not know how) to play this in Quicktime. But when I move the slider, I DO get frame images.
    - Once encoding is complete, I only get a flv file (2.9MB) that only has sound. No picture.
    - Dragged the flv file into VLC. Only sound, no picture.

Yes, there was a swf. Imported it into Dreamweaver, tried to preview (in Safari). Only sound, no picture.

Here's the link to the original video:
    http://www.blogto.com/toronto_fashi...ryerson_school_of_fashion_at_lg_fashion_week/

I'll upload the downloaded mp4, as well as the flv file if you'd like. Please let me know.

Many thanks guys for the suggestions-- highly appreciated!

5. pelsar macrumors regular

some options....

dont use MP4...i do my conversions from MP2

send me a link..i'll see what i can do...

6. suburbia thread starter macrumors 6502

7. pelsar macrumors regular

8. suburbia thread starter macrumors 6502

This is so cool of you-- thanks so much for taking the time!

Was it just me, or was the original mp4 file something easy and straightforward to work with?

I definitely owe you one!

9. pelsar macrumors regular

formatting problems...

you're entering the world of technical problems and formatting....and looking for work arounds.....i couldnt say what exactly the problem was/is, but from experience MP4 is somewhat problematic

you dont owe me anything, the help i've received here has been tremendous, the least i can do is return the favor to some else here.....

10. suburbia thread starter macrumors 6502

Whatever you did-- I truly appreciate your time and help pelsar! Thanks again, and if I don't owe you, I definitely hope to return the favor. :)