No picture on TV when playing DVD on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by meki22, Jan 25, 2012.

1. meki22 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, im not too knowledgeable about these things so was hoping if someone can help me. I bought a connector from amazon so that i can watch movies/netflix on our HD TV using my MBP but when i try to play a DVD and go to full screen no picture appears on the TV. Is there something im missing?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Does the picture appear on the MBP?

On a lot of video playback apps you need to select which device gets full screen output. VLC does a good job of that.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Couple of things....You need to set the MBP's screen settings to "Mirror" the display.

Check that your audio output is correct too.

Both can be found in System > preferences.

What make of DVI adapter did you get? I have a Neet, and it works perfectly, some of the cheaper offerings have had bad reports here.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

No you don't, I run full screen movies on my external screen in extended display mode all the time. Mirroring will also lower the TV's resolution down to the MBP's screen, which will look crappy. The correct method for getting the most out of this is to set your full screen device as the external or TV, in a program such as VLC this is easily done in the video tab of the menu bar up top.
    Indeed, forgot about that as my MBP is too old for that.

5. meki22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the picture appears on my MBP. Im just using the the default DVD player. On the TV, the default "Galaxy" wallpaper is shown. I found that if i were playing a movie off of my hard drive using MplayerX it will not show on the TV until i hit "full screen". However with the DVD player, when i hit full screen the only thing that shows on the TV is a grey screen. :confused:

The connector i have came from amazon. I believe this is it: http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-F...629E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327637277&sr=8-2

Ive used this to play movies from my harddrive and it works fine using MplayerX. I tried using MplayerX to play the DVD but it doesnt even open it up.

Can i play a DVD using VLC?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes.