No Power After Battery Replacement on Mid-2009 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoCubsGo, Apr 30, 2015.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I just replaced the battery on a mid-2009 MBP (13") using a genuine Apple battery. The battery looks legit and doesn't leave me thinking it is bad. It is a very simple and nearly hard to screw up process that I somehow guess I screwed up.

In short, I took off the bottom case, removed the two screws on the battery, used a spluger thing to lift the battery connector, repeated the steps in reverse order and plugged the notebook into the magsafe connector. I've done a search but my issue extends past no power as the magsafe no longer lights up.

I tried an SMC reset without success. I removed the new battery and put the old one back in and have the same issue now, no power, no led on the magsafe, and no success resetting the SMC.

I removed the battery and tried to just plug in the magsafe, still no response from the magsafe. Google hasn't been incredibly helpful for me so I'm asking here. I don't have a second magsafe nor a second laptop to try.

2. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Anyone? Since it's well out of warranty I would love to avoid taking it in.

3. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

An update:
    I found a thread where there were instructions to unplug the battery, hold down the power button, plug the mag safe in and then plug the battery in and the machine would power on. This has worked. The magsafe isn't even plugged in and it's on but the fan is running at full speed and there is no battery indicator in the menu bar. I was able to turn the machine off and on again, twice after that.

Since there was no battery indicator, no lights on the magsafe, and the fan wouldn't stop running, I did an SMC reset. Now the machine won't even power back on. I repeated the above steps and I can get it to turn on again, but the same happens with the fan, indicator, and magsafe.

4. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

The magsafe should light up without the battery connected. if the machine doesn't work without the battery, i would assume the logic board is faulty.

5. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I took it into Apple yesterday. As I had already done the diganostic check, the fan and battery sensors failed. This is odd to me since literally all that happened was I opened the case, removed the two screws for the battery, took one out and put one in. Unless the so-called Apple OEM battery shorted the MLB, I cannot figure it out.

Apple tested it as well. The guy said he did not find any evidence of a wire being disconnected, no sign of any damage to the MLB, and he simply cannot figure it out either. Because it's a 2009 machine, he told me where to take it. He said he is confused about what happened as well, but the sensors failing lead to an MLB issue, as you also say.

There's no reason this should have happened. I was at my kitchen table on a rubber mat and I swapped the batteries. The machine was powered down and I touched something else to ground myself before touching the machine. True old PC repair style. So I don't get it. The screwdriver never touched anything inside except two screws. I used a plastic pryer deal to get the little battery connector off. I couldn't have been more careful.

It's annoying. There's a place that will take it and cost to diagnose is $55, repair is $300 - $1100. They will call before they touch it to repair it. It's more annoying that something like this has happened.