No power light on 23" ACD. Is it dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by badlydrawnboy, May 30, 2013.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I have a 23" ACD connected to my MBP. This morning I woke up to find my MBP had crashed. I had to use Command-Control-Power Button to restart. But then I noticed that the power light of my ACD was off, and it wasn't coming on.

I have an external keyboard that is plugged into the ACD, and a wired mouse plugged into the external keyboard; both of those are working (not sure if that means anything).

I tried resetting the PRAM on the MBP, but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Power surge maybe? Have you tried replacing the fuse in the plug (or a different lead if that's easier)

3. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your reply. Not sure what you mean by fuse. The outlets and power strips are still working; I have printers, routers and the Macbook plugged into those and they're powered up.

What's strange is that I'm pretty sure the power light on the ACD was on when I first came into my office this morning. After restarting the Macbook, though, it went off and stayed off.

If the monitor was completely dead, would my keyboard and mouse (which are plugged into the ACD) still work? That seems strange.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Depends if the HUB is bus powered or not.

Do you have an Apple Store nearby? They'll have spare PSUs you can use to test the display :).

5. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I do. Good idea.

I've heard repairing the displays is more expensive than buying a new one, but if it's just the power brick, that would be a lot cheaper.

6. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Bring it on in to the Apple store. They'll have all of the tools to diagnose the problem, and they can give you a repair quote. If they find that the monitor and power supply are working normally, they won't charge you anything and you'll know it's something with the power at your desk.

And if you find the repair is too expensive, they can also sell you a new monitor :)

7. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

They'll have a hard time doing that! I have two NEC monitors (PA271w and PA241w) connected to my Mac Pro. If the ACD connected to my Macbook Pro is dead, I'll probably replace it with a PA241w.