No power on Magsafe

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by slvrscoobie, Nov 12, 2015.

1. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2013
    Id noticed that my macbook connector was being 'flakey' as I needed to sometime wiggle the connector.
    Today I got back from a 2 day trip to find my laptop turned off and not charging. I played with the connector and it started to work for a while, but then needed to charge my work macbook so I swapped it over to that. Failed to charge. Fiddling didnt work this time.
    Back to mine, it still didnt work.
    after testing a couple of other things, it just wouldnt work. So I decided to test the internals.

There is no DC voltage on the 2 solder joints to the magsafe cable.
    I assume at this point the poor charger has run down its moral coil, and joined the bleeding choir invisible. It is an Ex-charger.
    Is my assumption correct?
    I know on the magsafe pins you need to use the middle pin to 'enable' voltage on the other pins, but I assume that if no voltage is present on the leads TO the magsafe, its probably done for.
  2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

Jul 30, 2003
    If your adapter will not charge on two different MBPro, then you need to try a different power adapter.
    If a different adapter works, without having to get it "just right", then you just need to replace your magsafe adapter.