Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethanh100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2016
Hi,

Im working on a Mid 2010 iMac EMC 2389 that appears to have no power at all. The power button does nothing, and I have tried different outlets and power cables. My thoughts are the PSU.

Below is a picture of the PSU with some of the pins outlined to show what I am talking about.

I tested that I was getting 120V AC at the two leads on the board (in blue) and I was. I read online that the lead outlined in grey was ground (it would be the bottom left pin if you are looking at the connector with the latch on the top) and the red pins should be the various power rails. I tested with a multimeter and found that there was no voltage across any of the pins to ground with the AC connected. So does this mean bad power supply?

I also read that there are leds to the right of the ram slots (if you are looking at the system as if you were using it), however I see nothing when plugged in and pressing the power button, so I guess that means no power to the mainboard, right?

Is there a way I can try to jump the PSU or anything, I know in a ATX power supply you do green to ground but these are all black and not labeled. But because there was no power output on the pins, I assume its just bad. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Picture: https://imgur.com/a/4NNJHf2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.