No Power to MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by arrfenwoof, Nov 7, 2013.

1. arrfenwoof macrumors member

Right so my MacBook is doing something quite weird. I've tried Googling but haven't found much help. I figured the lovely people here could help!

I have a early 2009 MacBook 2.13GHz A1181, when I press the power button, I get no sound, no video, no light, nothing. With the battery in, it does charge however (since when the laptop stopped turning on the battery was not fully charged) about 5 minutes ago the battery finished charging and the MagSafe turned green, like it should. I've tried resetting the SMC, turning it on with the battery out, the battery in, no charger, charger, etc. I'm kind of at a loss here. Is my Logic Board gone or something i'm totally skipping here? Thanks for ANY help!

-Chad

2. trevm999 macrumors member

I'd say the next step is to take it to an Apple Store or AASP. It might just be the top case rather than the logic board, (aka the power button isn't working). If your top case is cracked near the palm rests, they will probably be able to replace it for free.

However, often macbooks will themselves on without the power button after you remove the battery and drain all the power out and then connect the charger. Can't remember exactly if this specific model does that. I've never relied on that feature. The technician will either short out the power connection on the logic board or use a test top case to see if the button is the problem.

3. WildCard^ macrumors regular

4. arrfenwoof thread starter macrumors member

Well I know for a fact the battery and charger are both 100% OEM, so no worries there. Battery was holding a good 3-4 hour charge before this issue occurred. I went ahead and removed the top case and tried to jump it using the 2 solder pads and also the 2 pins on the top case connection point and neither made the MacBook boot. Any other thoughts? Thanks!

-Chad

5. trevm999 macrumors member

Try disconnecting everything you can no essential to run. Likem don't disconnect the magsafe board of the cpu fan, but remove stuff like the wireless card and disconnect disc drive, lcd cable, etc. Then try shorting it out to see if it turns on.