Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ubbman

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2004
so, if I've got some time to wait (this $100 rebate for academic buys expires June 25), it would be smart to wait until WWDC to see if they announce any updates? I'm looking at the 12" PBs. Don't care about superdrive.

Thanks.

arribadia

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
floodgte said:
The G5 processor is late, the biggest concern I have is that Apple won't give REAL users what they need!!! I desperately need a 20" PowerBook. The 17" is the closest thing to a cube (apart from the mini of course - but thats for PC Usedtobe's), but not good enough. A 20" would fit in my new briefcase perfectly. Why a 20"???? I have a 20" screen at home so I can plug my 17" G4 in and have 2 screens, what I really need is a 20" and a 30" at home and a 20" when travelling.
If Apple were to shrink the HUGE G5 tower into something that would fit in a large briefcase (alah CUBE) then that would be another story. Then all that would have to be done is make an LCD screen that can be rooled up into a tube.

Huh!!

You are too rich! :D

So what if you have a 20" screen at home? I have one too!

But what if you have a 30" cinema display? Would apple have to fabricate a 30" powerbook then? (With all that surface area, I bet it can be as thin as a biscuit too!)

The point of a laptop is portability. Apple has probably determined that 17" is in the upper percentile as far as what users consider to be "portable" and that any bigger than that, nobody would buy the friggin' thing! ;)

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
booksacool1 said:
Screw waiting for a G5 powerbook, I'm going to get a Pentium M and use it until a G5 PB comes out, and sell the Pentium M. Provided Apple is competative (of which I'm not too hopefull).
It works out very economical, I suggest more users consider being on both "sides".

Next we just need some more games which work over a mac/pc lan.

May I suggest going with a small 12" iBook/OS X Tiger in the meantime, instead of that Pentium M/Windows XP setup?

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Anyone with a iMac rev B notice this?

Gone from a iMac Rev A to the Rev B below, i have noticed that even with the increased clock to 2ghz and increased fsb i am seeing cooler temperatures than before. My cpu averages at 55 celsius with pretty intense use and that compares too over 70 celsius with my previous iMac rev a.
Think of it what u will, but the cpu's are running cooler and clocked higher, they are also emitting less heat to the surroundings (cooler hd from 55c to now 47c) all in a half inch thick heat sink. Who knows if there will ever be a G5 Powerbook. If it is possible we will see it either at WWDC or Expo this year.

brd2887

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2005
I will agree that there will NOT be a G5 in the powerbook line anytime soon, but as for buying one now, that's a different story. There are other options out there other than G5's that won't (as was mentioned before) burn your balls. I, for one, value mine, and would like for Apple to make a powerbook that is ball-friendly. I'm hoping to see an update (even just a small one) at WWDC, and even if there isn't one, I still won't mind waiting, because Apple usually offers specials for the upcoming fall semester. Since I won't have much money, I'd like to get as much free stuff as I can get, and if there happens to be an update, then great!

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
thanks

Shacklebolt said:
I understand that the Powerbook G5, or at least the concept of the Powerbook G5, is the next big thing on Apple's radar. But it simply will not be available for while. For those of you who want to wait until the WWDC, great. It's perfectly understandable. But the P-Book G5 is far from a certainty, and it turns out that you will have found yourself waiting for an extra month when you could have been using a perfectly snazzy P-Book G4, the 1.67GHZ model of which still stacks up quite nicely against the 1.6 G5 iMac. The G5 will happen, eventually. But it ain't gonna be for a while. I just bought a new pbook, and I'm not going to complain when the G5 pbook comes out, because my next computer will be P-Mac G5 MP, whenever that becomes available (who knows - G6?) - even if it's 2 years from now, I'll wait.

I know that I'm hardly the only one saying, "Don't drive yourself crazy, buy it now." But the fact is, as much as we'd like to think that Apple updates every 6 months, it's recently been closer to 8 or even 10. So just buy a ridiculously well refined (after all, the G4 pbooks have been around for a while, and there are precious few bugs with them now) pbook, and don't stress out about the next update.

Thanks for this, THIS IS THE ONLY THREAD FOR ALL POSSIBLE POWERBOOK BUYERS!!!!

robshakir

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2005
They really need to differentiate the lower end PowerBooks from the iBook. I think just sticking a couple more "Pro" features on the 12" would do this.

A PC Card slot for example, would put the PowerBook 12" back into the foray for a small laptop. It was the only reason I got the 15" over the 12", PC card allows for things like 3G/GPRS connectivity without using your phone, and other expansions.

Rob

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
i'm a possible powerbook buyer, but i'm extremely pissed with the G4.

after the crappy night i had "attempting" to burn a DVD full of venture bros episodes; wasted 6 hrs for nothing. i'd have to say putting the superdrive in an under powered bus system is a mistake.

the reason i don't even consider the G4 pro material is the lack of bus speed. where the power mac G4 left off is where it will stay, so get used to it: 167 is the magic number for the G4, be sure to provide a thank you note to Moto and Apple. if you want confidence from Apple on performance on the powerbook G4, you'll notice there is no listing of the bus speeds.

a dual core will not solve this problem, it will add a .1% difference, extremely meager. hell, an ibook has as much power as the powerbook, that's pretty pathetic if you ask me. just like the emac having the exact specs as the imac g4. anyhow, the dual core g4, if Apple takes it, will most likely be in the ibook, emac, and mac mini.

i think i'll hold out on my powerbook g5, it will be worth it rather than suffering with the current offerings.

i mean, my maxed out 1999 Graphite iMac SE (400 Mhz, 1GB SDRAM DIMM, 8MB ATI Rage) can even do simpler functions better than our new eMac (USB 2.0). that iMac only has a 100 Mhz bus, 67 Mhz is a huge jump for the powerbook line.

you know it's coming…WWDC is when the portable world will change forever. 64-bit on the go, along with pure processing power through the system bus (1 Ghz vs. 167 Mhz; pretty big difference).

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Shacklebolt said:
I understand that the Powerbook G5, or at least the concept of the Powerbook G5, is the next big thing on Apple's radar. But it simply will not be available for while. For those of you who want to wait until the WWDC, great. It's perfectly understandable. But the P-Book G5 is far from a certainty, and it turns out that you will have found yourself waiting for an extra month when you could have been using a perfectly snazzy P-Book G4, the 1.67GHZ model of which still stacks up quite nicely against the 1.6 G5 iMac. The G5 will happen, eventually. But it ain't gonna be for a while. I just bought a new pbook, and I'm not going to complain when the G5 pbook comes out, because my next computer will be P-Mac G5 MP, whenever that becomes available (who knows - G6?) - even if it's 2 years from now, I'll wait.

I know that I'm hardly the only one saying, "Don't drive yourself crazy, buy it now." But the fact is, as much as we'd like to think that Apple updates every 6 months, it's recently been closer to 8 or even 10. So just buy a ridiculously well refined (after all, the G4 pbooks have been around for a while, and there are precious few bugs with them now) pbook, and don't stress out about the next update.

...but what's the possibility of them skipping the G5 completely and releasing a G6 next Tuesday instead? :D

ubbman

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2004
If some sort of update is announced at WWDC, will it be announced on June 7? Also, how quick would the update or a price drop on the current model occur. I'm concerned because the current $100 rebate for the 12" expires on June 25.

Thanks.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
progx said:
i'm a possible powerbook buyer, but i'm extremely pissed with the G4.

after the crappy night i had "attempting" to burn a DVD full of venture bros episodes; wasted 6 hrs for nothing. i'd have to say putting the superdrive in an under powered bus system is a mistake.

I would be interested in hearing more about this, since I burn discs all the time, and never hit a bus related problem.

progx said:
the reason i don't even consider the G4 pro material is the lack of bus speed. where the power mac G4 left off is where it will stay, so get used to it: 167 is the magic number for the G4, be sure to provide a thank you note to Moto and Apple. if you want confidence from Apple on performance on the powerbook G4, you'll notice there is no listing of the bus speeds.

The G4 has become a bit of a consumer processor now that the G3 is gone and the G5 is out. Still it is easy on power, as it was design to be an embedded processor, and until another embedded proc comes along, I think Apple is stuck.

progx said:
a dual core will not solve this problem, it will add a .1% difference, extremely meager. hell, an ibook has as much power as the powerbook, that's pretty pathetic if you ask me. just like the emac having the exact specs as the imac g4. anyhow, the dual core g4, if Apple takes it, will most likely be in the ibook, emac, and mac mini.

WRONG!!!! The specs for the dual core G4 actually address the bus problem by putting the memory controller onboard, and making it capable with DDR and DDR2 memory. This puppy should scream, and at only 15W.

progx said:
i think i'll hold out on my powerbook g5, it will be worth it rather than suffering with the current offerings.

you know it's coming…WWDC is when the portable world will change forever. 64-bit on the go, along with pure processing power through the system bus (1 Ghz vs. 167 Mhz; pretty big difference).

If by G5 you mean the 970 family, it ain't going to happen. Might see a Dual core e700 someday though.

Max.

thevessels

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
i swear . even when/IF the powerbook G5's comes out . were gonna have thread after thread of people whining "should i wait till rev b or c?!? - are they gonna fix lots of bugs? is it worth the wait for them to fix it up, is there going to be speed bumps anytime soon?!?!"

when that day comes (which it will) i aswell will loose it :rolleyes:

-c

apelet

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
Would a G5 make a huge difference?

I'm as anxious as anyone else to see a major update to the Powerbooks, but will a G5 really be that big a performance jump from the current G4s? I was comparing xBench scores between recent PB G4 1.67s and iMac G5 1.80s and the difference doesn't seem to be that great. (Although I remember hearing something about xBench not being optimized for G5s until recently.) When the first Powermac G5s came out, the conclusion, as I remember, was that the lower end single proc G5s were simply outperformed by the last of the PM G4s, which were at the time, up to dual 1.42 or 1.5.

So I think what we should really be waiting for is dual core G4s for Freescale, which, from looking at their website (they have a list of sessions for their developer's conference at the end of June, after WWDC), higher clocked single (with better bus speeds) and dual core G4s are still a while away. (And I remember seeing a bit about a 64-bit version somewhere, but go look for yourselves. I am really not qualified to talk about this.)

arribadia

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
thevessels said:
i swear . even when/IF the powerbook G5's comes out . were gonna have thread after thread of people whining "should i wait till rev b or c?!? - are they gonna fix lots of bugs? is it worth the wait for them to fix it up, is there going to be speed bumps anytime soon?!?!"

when that day comes (which it will) i aswell will loose it :rolleyes:

-c

What's with this customer paying for beta testing of hardware? Defective laptops are worth little more than trash! Not the 50% premium on top of regular laptop prices for rotten Apples! :cool:

doubleraven

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2005
The title of this thread says it all.

I just got my 15" PowerBook from Apple Certified. Its Rev. D and is immaculate.

Folks if you're looking at either the iBook or Powerbook, just take a look and if one of them meets your needs. If the current lineup won't meet your needs, hold off. Otherwise just buy the thing, and get it over with. I did, and you know what? The could unveil a G5 laptop tomorrow, and I'd still be happy with what I just got.

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
Los Angeles
RE:

For the price of the PowerBook...spec wise you can get a much better laptop for less. I really want a new PowerBook,but the main thing I want is 256MB of VRAM,that would be all it is missing to satisfy me for the time being.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
iQuit said:
For the price of the PowerBook...spec wise you can get a much better laptop for less. I really want a new PowerBook,but the main thing I want is 256MB of VRAM,that would be all it is missing to satisfy me for the time being.
Duff-Man says..."spec wise" does not account for the operating system...to me, and many others on this forum, the OS is more than enough reason to avoid those theoretically "better" spec wise laptops - and note I said theoretically. And just why is 256MB Vram so important for your laptop? ....oh yeah!

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
Los Angeles
RE:

I will never go back to Windows,you know what they say "Once you go Mac you don't go back". If a new PB doesn't come out I won't be dissapointed the 17" is plenty good for me. I am just saying it would be nice to have a better PB with 256 MB of VRAM for graphic and video editing,maybe for some games too,also this is the HD era. There will be a new PB,as to when is the big question.

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
Los Angeles
RE:

They are in fact "working" on G5 PB's,but I am not sure they will be released anytime within 6 months. If one was to be released it would be like those new desktop laptops made by DELL AND Alienware,they get hot as hell and have a very short battery life(like 30 minutes). So would you rather have a thick superhot G5 PB or wait for a better one?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
agreed.

My 17" PB G4 is fine by me; I adore this laptop! It can get hotter than a $2 pistil at times, the thought of a G5 scares me a little.
(I had to laugh at the "water cooled" comment, that was a good one)
the g5 poses so many problems I am curious how they are going to pull this off in under 200 degrees and 10 pounds.

You know, if a PB G4 doesn't meet a person's needs, they don't deserve the G5 :D on the other hand... ;)

-- I thought the extremely anxious lusting for Tiger was a bit much too though. ;)

arribadia

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
iQuit said:
I will never go back to Windows,you know what they say "Once you go Mac you don't go back".

On one hand you may think you "think different", but fact is you are just another sheepie crowd follower :D

Ever considered Linux? I reckon Gnome gives OSX a run for its money, especially when considering it is free, and you don't need expensive hardware to run it on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.