No preorder?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by docderwood, Mar 10, 2015.

1. docderwood macrumors member

So no ability to pre-order?

So you place an order or try to buy in store April 10th? Seems a little odd relative to other introductions......

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I think that's normal for their computer line-up.

3. Talbot macrumors newbie

My only new mac buying experience was the most recent Mac Pro. Since this is saying "Shipping on April 10th" does that mean it will be a midnight mad rush online?

Any in stores?

Based on past MacBooks of this audience is it hard to get one right away?

Thanks!

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Macs are never hard to get. The only exception in recent years was the rMBP, but I don't see people rushing to get the rMB. Plus I think that since Apple is not opening orders up until April 10th, they'll have plenty of stock.

I too was hoping for pre-orders. I would have ordered already. And I want to get the 1.3 GHz processor, so I could be looking at an extra week's wait.

5. Talbot macrumors newbie

Yeah I mean I'm not like die hard apple. I just respect what they do. So when I heard "reinvent the laptop" or whatever I literally was like "oh crap. Where's my wallet?"

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'd just rather get the machine ordered and get the money out of my pocket. Plus, since I'm doing the only BTO option, I'd like to actually get it on April 10th instead of waiting another week.

But I'm excited either way.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Just hope that they launch all around the world at the same time. It will be maddening to deal with the scalpers playing arbitrage.

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Midnight rush - almost definitely. Most people don't know about that, but the folks who want to buy the MacBook do.

In stores - yes, but not any built-to-order configurations. I think though, that it's only the 1.3 GHz processor that's a BTO.

I bought the first rMBP in a built-to-order config and it took about a week to arrive.

It may be possible to order the MacBook online for inshore pick-up, in which case you're all set. If not, the choices boil down to waiting a few days for delivery or taking your chances in store.

A third option (if your credit card can handle it) is to do both - order online and go to the store. You may or may not get a chance to cancel the online order before it ships. Either way it's returnable, but that $1300-1600 authorization is going to be sitting on your card for a minimum of a few days.

----------

The Mac Pro was a HUGE exception. But it really wasn't a consumer item and there was pent-up demand since there'd been no updates for years.