No printer driver for 10.5.8

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RhianB, Nov 23, 2016.

1. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

Hey guys, I have a Cannon pixma MG2922 printer that I typically use with my 08 intel macbook and wirelessly with my iphone. This printer as it turns out will not run on leopard (my PMG4 & G5) because it is too old. The most recent driver on Cannon's site for this printer was for Snow leopard IIRC.

Any ideas on how to fix this or make the SL driver work? I already tried and it won't let me install it. Thanks for any ideas.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Find out where the printer drivers are stored on your MB. Then copy them to the printer driver location on the Leopard Mac.

If this is a network printer, add the printer as a LPR printer and give the network IP address. For the type select the correct printer driver from those you just copied over.

Be aware that the printer driver location folder on SL and Leopard are a bit different.

If it's a USB printer then just add the printer from the USB section when you add a printer and specify the driver.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Doesn't look like he's running SL anywhere. Copy the El Capitan driver to the Leopard machine?

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah. He mentioned SL so I ran with it. Didn't bother to look in his signature.

5. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Or take a look at the GutenPrint project, they mace have drivers for your printer there. They usually work back to much older versions of OS X, I even got my printer that required 10.5 to work with my PBG3 on tiger

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Yes...try Gutenprint 5.2.10 (last version for Leopard) with it. That printer is in the "compatibility" list (with limitations) but unfortunately the list is for 5.2.11. So it's a "try and see" situation.

7. RhianB thread starter macrumors 6502

RhianB

Thanks guys. So I'll take a look at gutenprint. If I can't get it to work, I'll then need to locate the installed driver on my MB, and then copy/paste it into the appropriate space on Leopard. With this solution it seems like you're thinking the driver will work just fine and that the incompatibility is purely from the selective installer in front of it?

If I could link up via bluetooth, that would be ideal. That way I'm not swapping USB cables. Thanks for the help. :)

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

All the installer does is install appropriate Intel apps that allow you to manage certain aspects of the printer…and the printer drivers.

I have a Samsung M2020W printer which only installs on Snow Leopard or above. Moving over the drivers to my PowerBook and then creating a LPR printer using the Samsung printer's IP address and giving it the printer driver I copied over lets me print.

Printer drivers are essentialy text files that tell the printer what it is, what it's capable of and how to do it. Nothing magical or 'Intel' about them.