No printer properties for PIXMA MP610

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by geoffH, Oct 10, 2008.

1. geoffH macrumors newbie

I invested in the Canon PIXMA MP610 to go with my new iMAC but can't get the printer properties feature to work. There is a multi-tab dialogue box in Windows with all sorts of useful features e.g. print quality, paper type & size, watermarks etc so I presume I should be getting something similar on my MAC? Have downloaded all latest drivers from Canon site

I'm new to MACs having only just moved away from Windows, so I may be doing something really stupid! Any answers will need to be in simple language please?! Thanks for your help!!

2. iheartchlorine macrumors newbie

I have a Canon PIXMA MX300 that I use with my MacBook. At first I was also confused because print options don't display the way they do in Windows. But they are there.
    I was going to include some screen shots, but it won't let me paste them into this...anyway, if you're printing from Word, a dialogue box comes up, letting you choose the printer, number of copies, etc. There should be a drop-down box that says "Copies & Pages." If you click the little arrow next to that, you can choose things like "Layout," "Quality & Media," "Color Options," etc.
    Hopefully this helps. :)

3. geoffH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - that's a real help.
    Still doesn't seems as convenient as the Windows set up but I guess I'll get used to it.

4. geoffH thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't know whether you'll pick this up as we're now several weeks down the line but as you seemed to solve my last problem, I wonder if you can help with this one too?
    Can't get the MP610 to display "supplies" i.e. I have no idea how much ink is left. It doesn't seem to be an option available to me when I follow the help page advice, but I can't believe a printer as good as this can't come up with the answer ..or is it something peculiar to MAC? I had a cheaper Canon printer with my PC (pre-MAC) and this facility was readily available ..and very helpful.
    Appreciate your thoughts if you're still around!
    Thanks - and Happy Christmas!

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I'm using the Canon MP610 with my Mac Pro. Don't your ink levels show up on the LCD screen of your printer? To see Current Ink Levels, press the long narrow key on the top left on the printer.

6. geoffH thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes - same with me. That's certainly helpful but it's something you have to remember to check as opposed to it being shown to you automatically. On the PC based system, you can set things so that these levels show automatically on your PC screen as part of one of the print dialogue boxes - so, every time you print you get a quick shot of remaining ink levels. To my mind, that means I'm much less likely to run out of ink accidentally.
    Maybe there's no way round this and Canon assume most folk are not as daft as me.
    Thanks for your reply!

7. Palladium macrumors member

Hi,

Regarding ink supplies, in OS 10 the printer dialog box should have a button (it's at top right on mine) called "utility". Selecting this and the printer will give a further menu which includes among other items: test prints, ink jet cleaning and ink levels. Not as convenient as having it shown automatically but it is available.

8. geoffH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Palladium - appreciate your input!
    That makes me think I really am missing something - that's exactly the sort of info I was used to with the PC based system...but the nearest I can get on my iMAC is when I click on "Print and Fax" in System Preferences. This gives me a box with three tabs - "General" (which automatically displays my printer, location, queue name, host name, driver version), "Driver" (which has already selected my printer correctly but then says that to take full advantage of my printer's options I should check that they [i.e. options] are accurately shown.. but nothing is shown) then "Supply Levels" (which simply says information not available).
    Any other ideas??

9. Bill P. macrumors regular

Bill P.

Geoff—see my thread regarding: How do I display a full featured Print Dialog Box?

Open the hard drive icon in the upper right hand corner of your monitor. Open the library file and then the printer file. In one of the Canon folders you should find the Canon Printer Utility which will give you what you want. I keep it in the dock.

Regards,

Bill

10. geoffH thread starter macrumors newbie

At last! Someone who has had exactly the same problem as me - thanks Bill!

BUT, I found the library, canon printer utility etc..and still no luck. When I click on Canon-BJprinter-utilities- I get either Canon IJ Printer Utility or CIJAutoSetup Tool. I click on the printer utility icon and get a box entitled printer list..but no printer is listed! Have tried all the other folders in Canon library but no luck
    Groan! I feel I'm so close but just cannot get this last step. Have a horrible feeling I'm doing something really dumb ..thanks for your patience!

11. Bill P. macrumors regular

Bill P.

Hmmm, I feel your frustration, Geoff.

When I open the printer utility I get a box where I select Network or USB at the top. Network in my case. After a moment the printer appears. You then have to click on the printer at which time the Maintenance window becomes clickable (blue).

Sorry I can't be of further help. I already know more that I wish about this...

12. geoffH thread starter macrumors newbie

Bill - you're a star.
    Can you believe it? The reason why my printer didn't show up in the Printer Utility? ...It needs to be switched on at the time! Seems pretty dumb now I come to write it, but so many other features are customisable once the printer is installed (without having to be switched on) that it never occurred to check that bit. Anyway, at last I can see the info I was after!! It's still not quite as convenient as I was used to, but I feel happier that I'm at least getting the kit to do what it's meant to.
    I was interested to read your thread when you had similar problems and it's so heartening to realise I'm not the only one who struggles with these simple things.
    I have a horrible feeling I'll be back to one of these Forums with another problem soon, but meanwhile..thanks again!
    Geoff

13. Bill P. macrumors regular

Bill P.

I'm glad it worked out, Geoff. Thanks for the update.

Happy holidays!

Bill

14. Webmason macrumors newbie

PIMA MP610 Frustrations

Well, I hope this is an ok thread to post this in, I figure its PIMA MP610 related.

My printer used to work perfectly and do everything I wanted it to. I don't know what I did, but it stopped having the ability to print PDF files from Adobe Acrobat. Even though it would print the same files just fine from Preview.

In an effort to fix the problem, after trying a number of things I found on the net, I am left with a printer that prints, but just barely. When I try to print from Acrobat it goes to the que, hangs and eventually says:"client-error-not-possible"

Lost now are my ability to print "faster" by lowering the print quality and my ability to preview prints. It just seems that the printer properties has been stripped down to the bare minimum.

I tried to delete everything and just re-install from the disk that came with the printer, but the installation just hangs for hours!

I have just about had it with this.

My set up: 20in. iMac, Leopard 10.5.6, 4gb Ram, I'm NOT trying to print wirelessly. I have tried both versions of the Canon drivers for the 610, and I just can't get all the features back.

Please anyone with ideas I'd really appreciate some help. Not being able to print from Acrobat is killing me.

Thanks,
    Tom

15. Eltjo macrumors newbie

Eltjo

Canon Pixma MP620 does not print pdf files

In the last message of this thread I read the same problem as I have with my new Canon Pixma MP620 printer: it prints everything but pdf files (with Adobe :mad:). I have to open files in the macintosh program Preview to print.
    Does anyone have a solution?

(a bit later)

FOUND A SOLUTION (it is strange it only affects pdf printing):

When I deleted the Canon printer in the system screen (faxing and printing) and added it again, I had to choose how to print (lowest choice). The default choice is "Canon MP620 series" or something like that. Instead I had to choose Canon IJ Printer. Then all of a sudden I could print pdf-files.
    Strange!

16. Webmason macrumors newbie

Eltjo, You are my hero for posting your fix. It worked!