No printers are available after 10.9.4 upgrade, help

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by compute, Jul 4, 2014.

1. compute macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I tried to print something today on my xerox printer and first it gave me the message that "the printer is offline" after trying out a few things i couldn't get the printer to work, so i decided to desert the printing system and re-install the drivers of the printer again hoping this will fix the problem.

On the contrary after installing the drivers the printer doesn't even show up in the "printers & scanners " dialogue box (system preferences - printers & scanners"

It just says "no printers are available Click Add (+) to set up a printer"...when i try and do this there is nothing to add.

When i try to print a document i get the message "you need to install a printer...

Does this have to do with the 10.9.4 upgrade i did 2 days ago or is there probably another problem? Any other steps/tips i can try out to make the printer work again?

All help is really appreciated
  2. alksion macrumors 68000

Sep 10, 2010
    Los Angeles County
    - Power cycle the printer
    - Power cycle modem and / or router
    - Test another device with the network printer
    - Make sure you have the newest drivers
    - Try an older driver if newest driver is installed
    - Confirm network settings on printer
  3. compute thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2013
    What do you mean with "power cycle the printer"?

I have the newest drivers and tested out the older ones, no luck...
    My printer is only conected with usb its not in a network
  4. fisherking macrumors 603

Jul 16, 2010
    ny somewhere
    unplug and replug the cable between the computer and the printer. THEN try adding the printer.
    also... reboot the mac. reinstall drivers...
  5. compute thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2013
    I tried this but here's the thing....the printer is not even recognised, when i try and install the driver i get the message saying the driver is installed successfully...yet the printer doesn't show up under printers & scanners...when i try to print a document i get the message saying i need to install a printer first.

Few weeks all worked great...big question is if this is driver related or maybe another problem.