No Problem just a Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMacUnsure, Aug 24, 2013.

1. iMacUnsure macrumors member

iMacUnsure

I am considering buying an iMac been a Windows user for years but I have concerns. At this point and time I am most likely going to have to buy a used one with no warranty. I like the iMac 21.5 it just has the draw back of not having a DVD drive. I am looking at an iMac24 (late 2009). What kind of service has anyone gotten out of the 24? Has anyone had an overheating issue? HDD issues? I cannot get Applecare if I buy used that is one drawback.

I guess my main question is the iMac24 dependable? Thanks in advance.:D

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

The 24" hasn't been available new for a while. Won't you budget stretch to a last generation 21.5"?

3. Shane1905 macrumors regular

Macs generally have a 5 ish year life cycle of reliability. There are many examples of older macs still running now but also many that didnt make 5 so a 4 year old without a warranty will be very hit and miss...

You say you like the 21.5 inch but are worried about the lack of DVD drive. All 21.5 up until 2012 have a DVD drive built in on the side, only the latest generation iMacs come without any optical drive so maybe consider a 2010/11 if your budget allows.

4. iMacUnsure thread starter macrumors member

iMacUnsure

May have to at this point.

Thanks. If I can budget a new iMac 21.5 which I maybe able to how much would an external drive cost for it? Or can I use any external drive? Also how much more does the Applecare warranty cost above the standard one year warranty?

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You can use any external drive. Best of with Thunderbolt or USB 3 if you can afford it for speed (assuming your getting the latest version, otherwise USB 2 will do).

6. Sputnek macrumors regular

7. CrickettGrrrl, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Here is a link to a few DVD/CD external combo drives on Amazon, as you can see, some of them are pretty inexpensive:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=USB+CD%2FDVD+&rh=n%3A541966%2Ck%3AUSB+CD%2FDVD+

And B&H Photo currently offers Apple care for iMacs for $122 (They are reputable):
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582538-REG/Apple_MC245LL_B_3_Year_AppleCare_for_iMac.html

Oooff! Sputnek types so much faster than I do...

Another thing --definitely consider Apple's Refurbished products. You get 1 year warranty and they qualify for Apple Care too. I've bought a refurb iMac for myself and another for my parents and they are/were terrific.

8. Shane1905 macrumors regular

And don't forget, if you're a student or know any one that is that could buy you a nice present, there's a 15% discount on iMacs ;) and discounted apple care.

9. iMacUnsure thread starter macrumors member

iMacUnsure

Well I have decided on the iMac 21.5 even though I still have reservations about it not having an optical drive but I have priced them and they are not that expensive so I believe I can afford that. Want to thank everyone for all the great responses and help. I will drop back in hopefully on my new iMac!

10. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Too be honest, there are advantages on not having a built in cd/dvd drive on the latest iMac's.

On the older iMac's that had the built in drive, they were a common part that failed, and expensive to get replaced (much more expensive than the price of an external cd/dvd drive).

On the latest iMac's, if your external cd/dvd drive fails, it's a simple matter of disconnecting it and connecting a new cd/dvd drive to your iMac. :)

11. iMacUnsure thread starter macrumors member

iMacUnsure

Excellent point.

12. Shane1905 macrumors regular

One important thing to remember with the latest gen 21.5 is the non user accessible RAM. Make sure you order the amount of RAM you feel comfortable with to see you through to the end of your apple care. Then you can take off the screen (or get someone else to) and upgrade further without worrying about voiding your warranty.

13. mapleleafer macrumors regular

You may want to go one step further and consider a Mac mini. You can then replace the display if/when it fails. You may already have a monitor you could use.

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

15. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Wait for the new iMacs soon. Who knows, they may sell a 24 again.

16. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I agree with reply #13 above.

Since you're a Windows user, you may already have a monitor, USB mouse, and USB keyboard.

You can pick up a Mac Mini, and just plug those things in. Everything should work from the get-go.

You can pick up a new Mini for the same cost (or less) as a used iMac. Or consider an "Apple refurbished" product (same 1-year warranty, most look "as new")...

17. iMacUnsure thread starter macrumors member

iMacUnsure

Thanks but I have decided on a 21.5...just got to decide if new or refurbed? Same warranty either way. The Mac mini is a good idea I do have several monitors a 22 & 23 plus a 16 and a couple more. The Mac mini does not have an optical drive either so if I have to spend the money I guess I would rather spend it on the 21.5.....

18. simsaladimbamba

Luckily CDs and DVDs can more than suffice with only using USB 2.0 as interface, as TB and USB 3.0 are too fast for them and it would probably cause panic to some CDs or DVDs if they get sucked into an abyss.