No PS3 price cut for Europe because it would 'Annoy'

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Jul 23, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Out of the horses mouth. Sony PR must stop taking lessons from Bush

"We know it isn't selling but it's making it's targets" :rolleyes: OMG did he actually say that. What a sap.

Christmas isn't critical for Sony, were looking to Christmas 2008 to take off ? :rolleyes::rolleyes: Just get's better doesn't it folks.

Because I'm sure by Christmas 2007, Wii & 360 will not have sold any more units and after all the biggest selling period for retail (holiday season) isn't that important, after all we are Sony - were not arrogant because we know better......

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its the norm aint it...someone from sony talking out of there arse. Every christmas is important...ALL sales count don't you think.

Just hoping those 2007 game make the target release date.

Bless

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

We know that, so why the BS coming from Sony again. It makes you want to get all the PR guys in one room and slap them all profusely.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Price drop's only 'annoy' people who have just bought the damn console, for everyone who wants one, they love price drops. That's just how it is and how it's always been, whoever heard of a company refusing to have a price drop for something as ridiculous as that.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What?

Who on earth would it annoy? Sure you have early adopters, but they're (we're?) fools who don't mind paying extra to be part of the early crowd anyway!

It's not even that good of a deal. IIRC Play and even Gamestation and Virgin have some very sweet PS3 deals.

It's a shame that 300 film has made my classic "this is madness" line a cliche.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

My poll:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=329486

People are annoyed here (in the US), so Sony, why not annoy them over there! :p

This whole PS3 thing is getting rather silly....

The more Sony does this, the more respect I have for Nintendo and the MS XBox Team!

7. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

FULL INTERVIEW

He makes some decent points, but alas - he(they) can't please everyone.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

IMO they should have forgotten about bundling games, or giving the options which ones you can pick (LOL. Resistance and Motorstorm), dropped the price £100 and stuck with 2 controllers in the box.

HDMI cable inbox plz. If HD is the future and all that.

VGA accessory needed.

Still though. Thanks for not annoying me Sony!

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Well, he is right. I too can see a price drop annoying people in Europe. The system came out not too long ago. Dropping the price so soon could upset quite a lot of people. This is a wise choice on Sony's part.

10. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Well your annoyance will be short lived ;), as they will more than likely drop the price this winter(if not it will be dropped by march - and there will be great games by then as well)

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wow.

12. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I second your Wow.

And double it, Wow!.

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, as far as arrogant Sony comments go, I would say this isn't one. Nothing on the scale of "People will work two jobs to get one" or "We could sell five million without any games on brand strength".

If you put the quote in context, the Sony guy backs up his reasoning pretty well. It makes sense for Sony. However, he cites poor summer interest as a good reason not to drop the price; this is true, but the question is, does this mean Sony WILL drop the price around Christmas?

If they do, then great. If they don't drop the price around Christmas, then this guy was just talking fancy to get out of the question. Hopefully they will drop the price.

But I think people are getting too defensive whenever Sony comments, based on past arrogance. I found it interesting at E3 that when I met Sony PR directors they were always new to the company. I gave one advice to watch out for comments like Kutaragi was making as that is what is getting their fanbase irritated.

Okay, that's just ridiculous; after five years, the console war is over and no one cares anymore. Sadly, this is probably what's going to happen; by the time Blu-ray is so cheap that the PS3 drops to the same price as the 360 and they're both in the $150 range, the PS3 will start selling well and perhaps even outselling everything, but it'll be so far behind the war'll be over and the Wii 2 and XBox 720'll be coming.

14. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Okay, well maybe in a "business sense." The product was only just recently released. A price drop will eventually come...just not so soon.

15. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

I guess you'd have to understand it from a business perspective for it too make any sense at all. (edit - what Antares said)

Sony would definitely annoy/abandon all early adapters if they dropped the price a mere 3months(and some change) after launch.
    To them, that is a bigger mistake than "annoying" gamers who were probably never gonna buy the console in the first place.
    How many would just return their console for a refund, and turn around and buy the reduced price one.......?

16. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

That's not what I meant. A lower price would mean even more of a loss for Sony. Would the increase in purchasers offset the $100 loss in revenue? I honestly can't say. They just want to milk the higher price as long as they can.

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Starts now....

Wasn't all this MS Vista's job?? :p

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I thought it was getting a price drop at the Lezpeg (sp?) show next month?

but again Sony would do well to put a leash on their PR department (particularly Reeves after E3 and then this ...doh) and pray that everyone doesn't buy 360's/Wii's before they actually have some games worth buying.

19. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Chairman Wow! :D (watching IT Crowd thismorning/yesterdayafternoon/sometime involving a plane from NY)