Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, I know it's a beta, but I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem.

Im using iTunes 10.5 beta with an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4, both updated to iOS 5. Unfortunately practically all of the music I've purchased from iTunes is not being properly copied onto the iPad when it's synced. Only bits of the songs play, if at all. The songs that are not from iTunes are ok, and on the iPhone, all the purchased songs are fine. I've deleted and resynced all the music on the iPad several times to try and correct the problem, unsuccessfully.

I imagine this is a beta related bug, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
same problem here.
it seems so different than what were used to.
drag over songs, and it appears to be syncing, and you can see them on the ipad, but they are greyed out, nut checked and have a sync symbol next to them.

I try to delete them, and they do not delete, they stay on the ipad, but you can manually delete?

what has worked for me was disconnecting amd reconnecting a couple of times, and then trying to sync.

I have itunes set to manual, so in order to get rid of the ghosts, I tried clicking on sync all music, and specified only one artist. that wiped out all the ghosts on the ipad and allowed me to go back and do a manual drag and drop sync which worked this time.

Took a while to get to this point to. beta madness!

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Such is life dealing with a beta. We shouldn't really be complaining since we were warned.

Anyways, if I delete a song that won't play, which you couldn't do in iOS 4, you can then re-download the song thanks to iCloud now, and the song plays. So I deleted are redownloaded about 100 songs. It actually didn't take that long, since files (apps and music) can download multiple copies at a time, very impressive.

So all was well and good, right? Unfortately, the next time I synced with iTunes, all the recently downloaded songs got deleted and the iTunes versions got copied to my iPad. I'm back to where I started and none of the songs will play properly.

As an aside, videos (both purchased from iTunes and ripped) don't play either. After a reboat, they did for a short while, but have stopped again.

Like I said at the beginning, it's a beta so these abnormalities are to be expected.

sykh06

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Yes, I know it's a beta, but I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem.

Im using iTunes 10.5 beta with an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4, both updated to iOS 5. Unfortunately practically all of the music I've purchased from iTunes is not being properly copied onto the iPad when it's synced. Only bits of the songs play, if at all. The songs that are not from iTunes are ok, and on the iPhone, all the purchased songs are fine. I've deleted and resynced all the music on the iPad several times to try and correct the problem, unsuccessfully.

I imagine this is a beta related bug, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this.

I'm having a very alike problem (probably the same) my problem is that after I sync, and the songs are copied successfully, if I tap one to play, it plays for a moment then just stops though it thinks it is still playing, if I plug in headphones however, I can listen through the headphones.
I read somewhere about this being because of sound check so I turned it off and on several times and noticed that it plays for a second every time I do it and I can listen to the song if I continually and rapidly press the soundcheck button which isn't convenient, I've tried several restores, restarts and other stuff but it just won't work! just like you, I can play my ripped songs just fine! I do hope someone finds a fix, for now back to 4.3.3

chandals

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
i also posted this in another thread:

i just installed iOS 5 on my iphone 4 (att) with itunes 10.5 beta. my iphone seems to be working fine but i am no longer able to drag songs in my itunes library to playlists or to my iphone when it is plugged into my computer. anyone else experiencing this problem?

hwa

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Similar issue here but I figured out how a way around some symptoms.

I am running
- iPhone 4 (ATT)
- iTunes 10.5.0.28 for win 7
- iOS 5

Symptoms:
- dragging a song from a Windows Explorer folder to the "Music" list under the "iPhone" Device in iTunes results in the song appearing in the playlist, but it is greyed out and a small persistent syncing icon (small circle with rotating arrows) appears to the left of the song. The song appears on the iPhone, but I am unable to actually play it neither on the device nor in iTunes.

Resolution (partial):
- dragging the file first from Explorer to the iTunes "Music" list in the "Library" section, and from there to the "Music" list for your Device allows for the song to be successfully played both in iTunes and on the device after syncing. It is no longer "greyed out" and the persistent syncing icon disappears.

dissander

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
new playlist works

same problem here.
it seems so different than what were used to.
drag over songs, and it appears to be syncing, and you can see them on the
ipad, but they are greyed out, nut checked and have a sync symbol next to them.

I try to delete them, and they do not delete, they stay on the ipad, but you can manually delete?

what has worked for me was disconnecting amd reconnecting a couple of times, and then trying to sync.

I have itunes set to manual, so in order to get rid of the ghosts, I tried clicking on sync all music, and specified only one artist. that wiped out all the ghosts on the ipad and allowed me to go back and do a manual drag and drop sync which worked this time.

Took a while to get to this point to. beta madness!
Hello. Try to create a new playlist with the same songs. this Worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.