No Quad processor in 13in MBP - worth waiting for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kstone113, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Kstone113 macrumors newbie

How big is the difference between the dual and quad i7 processors performance wise?

I was thinking about getting a MBP 13 inch but not questioning it and waiting for a bit longer. Just wanted to hear some people's thoughts. I would like a new mac but my 2007 macbook air is ok for now.

Any thoughts are appreciated....thanks!

2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping the 13" MBP will get an Ivy Bridge quad core processor next year but a quad core in the 13" could still be a few years or so away. We'll have to wait and see.

Depending what you do with your laptop a quad core could make a huge difference, but is it worth waiting for a quad core to arrive in a 13" MBP? Well that's up to you.

3. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

I really doubt you'll ever see a quad in the MBP13. Perhaps waaaaaay down the road when they figure out how how to keep the temperature in check. The MBP13 is just too small and ventilation is a challenge.

Also, if Apple is to keep lines drawn to differentiate 3 different MBP models in order to command ridiculous prices... one of 'em will have to suck in order to move you up to the next level. Brilliant!

The 13" MacBook Pro will always be the bastard child and whipping boy in the MBP lineup.

4. Kstone113 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou for your responses.

I agree it could be considered a step child however serve its purpose to someone who wants that smaller size but also wants performance. I think I'm gonna go with the 2.7 i7 dual core. The benchmarks for it are better than the previous generation 15 inch or 17 inch.